Embers out of blower! Need Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The trim ring “closes” the gap between the outer can and where the steel flue collar protrudes through the can. I think it’s about 1” in diameter. There is a cavity all around the firebox, encased by the outer can. This is where air is heated and moved by fans into the room.

If debris from the masonry chimney fell down on top of the firebox, dropped into that opening, it could lay in the bottom of the can. Then burning stove could get it hot and blowers come on, out it comes. It’s a long shot, but so is the situation you’re having.

This could happen because when it was installed and “if” a liner was connected, they did not reattach trim ring. The trim ring is installed at the factory, but who knows, it could have been removed.

Reactions: begreen and brickie
May be a long shot, but one thing I would check is pull the blower fan motor if possible, and get a good look at it, make sure there is no debris, and check real good for any shorts in the wiring that may be present. Shorts may very well be a cause of sparks, which may be confused with embers. May only be happening on high due to higher load on motor wiring. Worth a shot before pulling the thing apart.

Blower/fan assys should be cleaned every year, every other at minimal. It also extends the life of the motor.

Ok guys here’s where I’m at.
Pulled out the insert this morning and looked over the firebox outlet really close. I can’t see any kind of breach at all. I didn’t remove all the firebrick yet. I did inspect the fan housing and all though I had cleaned, there was a good bit of lint/dust clumps. My wife and I took it apart and cleaned with a shop vac and tooth brush. I also turned the shop vac on blower mode and blow from the fan housing. I did notice that there were also clumps of dust debris in the bottom of the housing. I didn’t blow out with a compressor because I don’t have one here. I will have to load into my truck to do that.

I have just built another fire haven’t noticed any embers at all. So,(fingers crossed) that may have been the problem.

I have attached some pictures of where the adapter is mounted into the firebox. Do you all see any issues?
Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• CB2D1991-A001-434F-B9CD-9576D446104D.jpeg
    CB2D1991-A001-434F-B9CD-9576D446104D.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 70D32990-FCDD-4EFA-92BE-7EBE941B9E56.jpeg
    70D32990-FCDD-4EFA-92BE-7EBE941B9E56.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 213
  • D16707DD-17C3-4CEC-8630-4011165DEA4C.jpeg
    D16707DD-17C3-4CEC-8630-4011165DEA4C.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 207
  • AA85D23C-75F6-4B72-B83D-18AC9ECF9031.jpeg
    AA85D23C-75F6-4B72-B83D-18AC9ECF9031.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: kennyp2339
Put a screw though that hole in the outlet to assure the liner adapter is held in place to the stove outlet. Adapter looks pretty good to me. Did you try and run the blower while you had it out, to see if it was shorting and throwing any sparks?

Put a screw though that hole in the outlet to assure the liner adapter is held in place to the stove outlet. Adapter looks pretty good to me. Did you try and run the blower while you had it out, to see if it was shorting and throwing any sparks?

I did run it while I had it out and all I seen was a little dust and junk. I have been running the fan for about 30 mins and no sparks.

Getting ready to engage the combustor.
This is my first catalyst stove so I’m a little paranoid.

I did run it while I had it out and all I seen was a little dust and junk. I have been running the fan for about 30 mins and no sparks.

Make sure the t-stat is turned up, close the by-pass, you will feel and here a click with the cam shaft moving over the rod, let the fire get a good char and the cat probe shoot past 1 o'clock , then turn the t-stat down in increments until you hit your desired temp output, its ok if the flame goes out in the fire box as long as the cat probe holds or remains active through out the burn, do things in increments 1st so you can learn how the stove responds to certain settings.

JEinSC, 9 minutes ago Oh, this is so exciting. Just imagine your elation if the cat actually works and you don't have to buy a new one yet! ;)

JEinSC, 9 minutes ago Oh, this is so exciting. Just imagine your elation if the cat actually works and you don't have to buy a new one yet! ;)
I grabbed a beer and waiting in anticipation to hear his results.. hopefully we hear really good news

Reactions: Woody Stover
Make sure the t-stat is turned up, close the by-pass, you will feel and here a click with the cam shaft moving over the rod, let the fire get a good char and the cat probe shoot past 1 o'clock , then turn the t-stat down in increments until you hit your desired temp output, its ok if the flame goes out in the fire box as long as the cat probe holds or remains active through out the burn, do things in increments 1st so you can learn how the stove responds to certain settings.

Ok. The cat thermometer when I bought it was shot. So I ordered another on off amazon and it is slightly shorter than the old one. Is this a problem? Also it just sits loose in the hole. Is that right? I have attached a pic.

Attachments

• AF66EE20-548C-4866-99E5-08B6BB0A184E.jpeg
    AF66EE20-548C-4866-99E5-08B6BB0A184E.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 149
don't think it should be an issue, I think a few people have switch probes to the condor's

The trim ring “closes” the gap between the outer can and where the steel flue collar protrudes through the can. I think it’s about 1” in diameter. There is a cavity all around the firebox, encased by the outer can. This is where air is heated and moved by fans into the room.

If debris from the masonry chimney fell down on top of the firebox, dropped into that opening, it could lay in the bottom of the can. Then burning stove could get it hot and blowers come on, out it comes. It’s a long shot, but so is the situation you’re having.

This could happen because when it was installed and “if” a liner was connected, they did not reattach trim ring. The trim ring is installed at the factory, but who knows, it could have been removed.

I don’t have a trim ring as you describe it. Is there an online store I can purchase it at? Or should I contact a dealer?
Thanks so much for your input and knowledge.

I have had the catalyst engaged about 30-40 min now. It got up to about 750 and has now started to decline a bit.

FYI : This is a new catalyst. My wood is down to about 1/3 full now. I am burning pecan that I believe is well seasoned. Feels pretty light. And a few oak pieces that are super dry.

I have had the catalyst engaged about 30-40 min now. It got up to about 750 and has now started to decline a bit.FYI : This is a new catalyst. My wood is down to about 1/3 full now. I am burning pecan that I believe is well seasoned. Feels pretty light. And a few oak pieces that are super dry.
Did you cut the air back to where the flames went out, and the cat can gorge on the smoke and really take off? Did it glow orange?

A shorter probe may register lower temps..not sure how the probe is situated with regard to the face of the cat in that stove. Maybe BK guys can enlighten us..

Did you cut the air back to where the flames went out, and the cat can gorge on the smoke and really take off? Did it glow orange?

I did not. I engaged at about 550 and left wide open thinking it would continue to rise.

I never seen it glow orange although my glass is not very clean.

It’s at 500 now engaged and I adjusted the thermostat to about 50%.

Hmmm, that doesn't seem right to me, can you step outside to see if what kind of smoke you have coming out of the chimney.

I engaged at about 550 and left wide open thinking it would continue to rise.
If you have flame in the box, it will burn the smoke and there won't be much for the cat to eat so it won't get as hot as it might, and may not even glow. That's the beauty of a cat stove..you can snuff the flame and cut the burn back to a smolder, use less wood and the cat will eat the smoke, wringing every available BTU out of the fuel...and sending less particulate into the atmosphere in the bargain. :cool:

Did you get the manual with the stove? If not, you can download it off the BK website. I usually read them a few times to glean as much info as I can. Some manuals are better than others, though, and you have to figure out some things for yourself.

Hmmm, that doesn't seem right to me, can you step outside to see if what kind of smoke you have coming out of the chimney.

It was burning very clean. I just disengaged it and added some more wood. Gonna try to get back to temp and engage again I just split a few pieces and they tested 20%-29% so it may be the wood.

Did you get the manual with the stove? If not, you can download it off the BK website. I usually read them a few times to glean as much info as I can. Some manuals are better than others, though, and you have to figure out some things for yourself.

I do have the manual. Gonna read through it tonight. I am just very happy that no embers are coming through the blower!!

Reactions: Woody Stover
It was burning very clean. I just disengaged it and added some more wood. Gonna try to get back to temp and engage again I just split a few pieces and they tested 20%-29% so it may be the wood.
Yup that wood it still to wet, Bk recommends 15% although you can squeak by at 18-20% but that is pushing the limit

Yup that wood it still to wet, Bk recommends 15% although you can squeak by at 18-20% but that is pushing the limit

Well I must say that regardless my house is warm!! I have the fan on the HVAC going and it’s minimum 72 in every room. Upstairs is about 1450 sqft.

Would it be ok to burn the marginal wood and bypass the cat? I have lots of wood but none that is that seasoned.

I think that @webby3650 has said that he can burn in excess of 20% with no problem. I like my wood about 18% but 20% isn't a problem. Just takes a little longer to burn in and there is a bit of hissing and maybe a little moisture coming out of the ends of the splits as the wood starts to burn. You can't just test one split, you have to test a bunch, especially the big ones in order to get a good idea where you stand.
Would it be ok to burn the marginal wood and bypass the cat? I have lots of wood but none that is that seasoned.
You won't get much heat bypassing the cat. These stoves are designed to burn smoke and extract heat in that way. You can burn marginal wood but you might want to pick up some compressed (100%) wood bricks to get you through this season if you find your wood not burning well. We've all been there...and we ain't goin' back! >>

May be a long shot, but one thing I would check is pull the blower fan motor if possible, and get a good look at it, make sure there is no debris, and check real good for any shorts in the wiring that may be present. Shorts may very well be a cause of sparks, which may be confused with embers. May only be happening on high due to higher load on motor wiring. Worth a shot before pulling the thing apart.

Blower/fan assys should be cleaned every year, every other at minimal. It also extends the life of the motor.
Blower is mounted from left of loading door and not anywhere near source of debris...but yes, clean with vacuum annually.