Encore 2n1 cat vs Non Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobabuoy

Jan 26, 2011
IL
Hi All,

I have a recently purchased VC encore 2n1, and want to know when should I use the catalyst and when should I take it out and burn in non cat. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would recommend using the cat whenever possible. If you run into draw issues in the shoulder seasons (or anytime really) you may want to consider removing the cat.

Otherwise, you could do some of your own experimenting... you should notice increased flame action with the cat removed, but you will be sacrificing some efficiency.

You may want to check out this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70623/
I do not own one. But according to other posts I've read, I agree with Clarks. Burn it in cat for longer fires and higher efficiency. Unless you find the thing is bogging down and spilling smoke into the house with backpufffs (which I have not heard about with these stoves.) This time of the year you may not be able to fill the firebox. I've been burning 3 small splits at a time and it lasts about 5 hours on days like today. Good luck and thanks for sharing your new stove with us. Any pics?

Hello all,

I am new here and enjoying all the good information as we try and make a decision on a new wood stove for our home. I posted in this thread because one of the stoves we are considering is the VC Encore. This will be a stupid question but what is a 2N1 when talking about the Encore? In our previous home we adopted an older VC DEfiant that had been abused but still performed. It had been overfired terribly and used to burn trash. It was so bad that the air control no longer functioned but we were still able to get a heck of a nice fire in it even in cat mode with its mostly burned up cat module because the air control from what I could tell was about 7/8 closed all the time. Lighting was a challenge ( with the ash pan open, I know thats a no no from reading here now) but once it got good and hot we would close the damper and seal the ash pan and that stove would then heat very well in cat mode for 6-7 hours with a full load.

The other stove we are considering is the Lopi Leyden/ Avalon Arbor. The Lopi dealer tells me to beware of VC because they are not the company they used to be qulaity wise and are impossible to get parts for. We are struggling because they are both beautiful and seem like they will do the job. Quality is very important to us as is the ability to get parts. The VC dealer tels me no worries regarding parts or quality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

Before anyone weights-in on the quality of VC stoves, you might want to do a search on them - especially in regards to their refractory innards.

Other stove to consider are the Jotul cast iron stoves, Pacific Energy Alderlea series stoves and Woodstock and Hearthstone soapstone/cast iron stoves.

Bill

Thanks for the input, I have done a ton of online searching regarding the quality of both I am looking at and everything I find, negative or positive is 3 or 4 years old which I have'nt put alot of weight into due to products changing etc. I will take a look at the others you mention, thanks very much.

Tim

onebadfish said:
Thanks for the input, I have done a ton of online searching regarding the quality of both I am looking at and everything I find, negative or positive is 3 or 4 years old which I have'nt put alot of weight into due to products changing etc. I will take a look at the others you mention, thanks very much.

Tim

I think VC may be back on track with the new 2in1 stoves. A new VC may have the edge over Lopi Leyden in ease of use and durability. I know a dealer who sells both, had a lot of Leyden probs and none with the new VC so far.

Thats great news, we are leaning that way truth be told. But I often suffer from "analysis paralysis" as my better half calls it and this is a big purchase for us.

Bill, I did a search of the forums here and found the refactory issues you brought up, thank you, I like to make informed decisions.

Tim

onebadfish said:
Thats great news, we are leaning that way truth be told. But I often suffer from "analysis paralysis" as my better half calls it and this is a big purchase for us.

Bill, I did a search of the forums here and found the refactory issues you brought up, thank you, I like to make informed decisions.

Tim

I think the Jotul Oslo F500 and the Firelight F600 look very much like my Dad's old VC Encore. Unlike the VC stoves, the Jotul stoves are dead solid reliable and rugged - no real quality questions past or present that I have read. For a stove that woud likely nevery have to be rebuilt like a cast iron stove, the PE Alderlea stoves to me are the ticket. Super heavy duty all welded steel box surrounded by a very decorative cast iron jacket. Both brand stoves are very clean burning stoves.

Good luck,
Bill

I'm surprised that Bill did not mention it but you also should consider the Woodstock stoves. You stated that, "Quality is very important to us as is the ability to get parts." That describes Woodstock perfectly! On top of that, they'll even give you a 6 month trial on the stove and if not satisfied, send it back for a refund. Will other companies do that?

I would highly urge you to go look at the new VC 2in1 stoves for yourself and pay attention to what the inside of the stove and secondary combustion system is built of. I will say this, two of the numerous people i talked to who new the vc brand well flat out told me they wouldn't put one in their own house yet and highly encouraged me to consider other stoves. I really like the look of the new 2in1's and really wanted one in my house but due to the fact there aren't enough reviews on them yet or people that have run them for extended periods to test the new refractory I shyed away from them. Even one season on a new refractory material isn't enough time to tell how well they will hold up over years of service and seeing how I heat with wood 24/7 I wanted something I didn't have to worry about. I personally was looking for something that didn't have any seams to worry about sealing and had convective/radiant qualities and ended up with a PE T6 and so far have been very happy with my choice. There are so many other great brands it's hard sometimes to sort out what you are interested in but if it was me I would try to stick to brands and models that have good track records and many happy satisfied customers. Good Luck with the stove shopping and make sure you let us know how it turns out.

certified106 said:
There are so many other great brands it's hard sometimes to sort out what you are interested in but if it was me I would try to stick to brands and models that have good track records and many happy satisfied customers.

This is great advice. Even though I would take the new VC (no track record) over a Lopi Leyden (questionable track record), I would first consider brands like Woodstock, Jotul and PE.

Thanks all for the good advice. I am going next week to look over the Jotul stoves. Love the idea of a woodstock but not sure if they have a dealer network. From their webpage I don't see a way to find dealers so wonder if they sell direct to owners only. I have a big decision to make and don't want to be thinking about a big mistake a year from now. We plan on having our stove installed by July of this year.

Woodstock is direct sell only I think. If you like the stove give them a call. They make a solid, reliable, quality product that they stand behind. Their customer service is reported to be excellent. With a 6 month, money back guarantee, there is not a lot of risk here.

That said, Jotul makes good stoves too. If you are looking for a simple, mid-sized, strong stove with good performance, the Jotul Oslo is an excellent choice.

Note that that is thermal efficiency, which is different than combustion efficiency. The Oslo does a good job at capturing the heat of combustion and translating that into room heating.

onebadfish said:
Thanks all for the good advice. I am going next week to look over the Jotul stoves. Love the idea of a woodstock but not sure if they have a dealer network. From their webpage I don't see a way to find dealers so wonder if they sell direct to owners only. I have a big decision to make and don't want to be thinking about a big mistake a year from now. We plan on having our stove installed by July of this year.

Woodstock sells direct. This is not a problem, unless you are counting on having a dealer install your stove or you just want to see in person the stove you are going to buy. With dealers, sometimes it's a crap shoot. There are very good ones and some not so good. I seem to find the not so good dealers. One thing with Woodstock is they have a wealth of info on their website and their tech support is super.

With regards to the Oslo, for what ever reason, I thought with the problems that VC has had over the years and the premium price you had to pay to get one, some mfg would make a VC Defiant looking knock-off. First time I saw an Oslo, I thought they resembed the VC Defiant type looks. To me the difference is there is no question the Jotul Oslo and Firelight are excellent stoves and from what I read really throw the heat.

Good luck,
Bill

onebadfish said:
OK stupid question time, how do non cat stoves like the Jotul Oslo still achieve a 75% or better effeciency without using a cat?

They use a set of air tubes in the top of the stove to inject air into the smoke allowing it to burn. Do a search on youtube for the Oslo and you may find some videos of the secondary burn. Pretty bullet proof system. Most all non-cat stoves use this technique. With a cat stove or non-cat type, one of the benefits, in addition to getting a clean burn, is you glean the heat from burning the smoke and it is a lot of heat too.

Bill

Thanks Bill, We are looking at having a dealer install, and you are right there is a ton of info on Woodstocks webpage but we are going to need to put our hands on whatever we are going to get before purchasing. Thanks for the clear information on secondary burn on the Oslo and others. The search goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.