England 25-pdvc/55-shp10 (adequate voltage reading needed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

larryathey

Sep 9, 2020
Minatare, NE, USA
I'm new here as a member, but I've read a lot of posts here in the past, which is why I signed up here.

Long story short, my main board in my England 25-pdvc/55-shp10 died and I adapted it to run on a Raspberry Pi computer so I could control it from my cell phone.

I need somebody with a working unit with a stock main board to tell me if the ignitor is receiving 120 volts AC or if it's DC at a higher/equal voltage. I have full remote control of the stove from my phone, with the exception of the ignitor functioning correctly. I replaced it a year ago, so I wouldn't think that it has failed so soon. But, sending it 120 volts AC doesn't seem to be working.

As a side note. If others are interested in doing the same thing, I will be willing to make everything open-source. It's nothing but a $30 Raspberry Pi computer and 4 relays to control the two blowers and the two auger motors. It works like a charm, other than the auto-iginition at this point.

Stove Status

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200909-205512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200909-205512_Chrome.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 116
I would imagine it is a 120v igniter , I believe that unit is rated at 300 watts .. have you tried to put an ohm meter on the leads and verify it isn’t burnt out?

Yes, but I don't have a reference for what its original resistance is supposed to be. I guess I could always buy another one, they're only $25 on Amazon. Based on the fact that they use a switching power supply on the original main board, it was a guessing game for me as to whether they were stepping up the voltage to it.

Maybe I do have one that went south in a year. That's only 2.5 amps and the relay I have turning it on/off is rated at 250 volts, 10 amps, so it's not the relay contacts breaking down...Amazon, here I come (again).