Englander 13-NCH right size for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AKDreamer

Sep 19, 2017
WI
Having trouble deciding if a 13-NCH will fit my needs. It would be for an older mobile home that i am rennovating (re-insulating also). Home is 750Sq ft. Stove would be angling toward hallway at far end. ( 2 br off hallway) I know it is going to be a small firebox. It is a recreational place so would only be used on occasion with WI winters getting pretty cold. Is this little guy a good fit for me? It would be my only source of main heat as i am taking out the furnace. Willing to supplement with baseboard heaters, etc.

Thanks.

It should work. Note that it needs a well insulated hearth and only the pedestal version is approved for mobile installation (with outside air supply). Outside of a safe installation, my main concerns would be a short chimney and poorly seasoned wood. Mobiles tend to have low flat roofs. The stove requires at least a 15' flue system, preferably straight up in order to draft properly. And it will need fully seasoned, dry wood.

Unheated mobiles can freeze piping quickly. You may need to set things up for thorough draining.

wow i guess i did not read the manual closely enough. 15' is more then i was going to go with. I can go straight up. Guess i will be spending more on a chimney then i had planned!

You are absolutely right on the piping. I pulled all of that crappy polybutylene pipe and replaced it with PEX. I will hook up to a manifold for easy draining.

You might look at the TrueNorth TN20, Enviro Kodiak 1200 or PE Super 27. They can work on a shorter chimney.