Enviro Boston shroud question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

contramundum

Dec 19, 2019
CO
I just got my Boston 1700 in the hearth (by myself lol) and now that I have it leveled out I did a mock install of the shroud.
In doing so I noticed the shroud will be suspended, or “float” by about a 1/4 inch off the brick beneath it. Is this normal and acceptable? The front feet are maxed all the way up, so I can’t adjust for that last little gap.
If normal, I’m assuming I should shim under the shroud to take some of the weight off the mounting brackets? Shroud is a good 80lbs

Photo to prove I got that sucker in!

Thanks all!

Attachments

• E8B79F0D-B762-4B90-BF72-E0E8D80F4EFD.jpeg
    E8B79F0D-B762-4B90-BF72-E0E8D80F4EFD.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 152
Is the front of the insert resting on the hearth?

It is, on the screws, not on any of the cast iron, but that seems by design. The only part I was expecting to rest on the hearth is the four feet and the shroud. But really it’s only the four feet that touch.
It doesn’t look off... I suspect this is normal.

Attachments

• BCEF1CDE-812F-48D4-A196-278B43C1FF16.jpeg
    BCEF1CDE-812F-48D4-A196-278B43C1FF16.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 141
Yes, you barely notice it, and only because you pointed it out. There will need to be hearth protection on the floor. Ember protection only should be fine.

That is one of the best looking inserts on the market. Enjoy!

Reactions: contramundum
I have the exact same stove, and I have the exact same gap under the surround. The screws which hold on the surround are more than adequate to carry its weight.

I have the exact same stove, and I have the exact same gap under the surround. The screws which hold on the surround are more than adequate to carry its weight.

Thanks illini, that helps. I wasn't sure if it was because my stones are a bit uneven and it seems the two front legs just so happen to be on a slightly higher brick. The one side has only two screws as you know because of the blower... I know they're adequate but wasn't sure if that was the intent or not. I'll leave good enough alone!

Illini81 While I have you, how much ash are you getting in your stove? I burn in the evening and through the night but was surprised I seem to have to clean the stove out every day because of how much ash and small coals are left behind. I'm burning pine, though it's well dried and has burned great for me even getting me 7-8 hour burns and 9-10 hours of heat. I was under the impression they only need to be cleaned out about once a week, but perhaps that's using oak and other hardwoods?? Thanks

I have a Kodiak and my gap is close to an inch. Never noticed really till I read this post. No one else has either.

An inch?? Huh. Sorry I pointed it out shorty! Lol how often do you empty your ash?

I've been trying to clean mine every 2 weeks give or take. I've gone longer but obviously less wood fits. I burn 24/7 for the most part. Only my second season so I'm no pro. There is an enviro insert thread somewhere on here if you search.

Illini81 While I have you, how much ash are you getting in your stove? I burn in the evening and through the night but was surprised I seem to have to clean the stove out every day because of how much ash and small coals are left behind. I'm burning pine, though it's well dried and has burned great for me even getting me 7-8 hour burns and 9-10 hours of heat. I was under the impression they only need to be cleaned out about once a week, but perhaps that's using oak and other hardwoods?? Thanks

Sorry I'm just getting back to you now. I burn 24/7 and can actually go over a month without cleaning out the ash. It actually seems to me as though the ash compresses over time, or that it sort of keeps on burning a little bit or something. Probably not true, but that's what it seems like. I find that after about 2 weeks, it gets close to even with the lip, and then it will sort of stay there almost indefinitely.

I will say that I never have small coals left behind. Well, except for the ones that are glowing in the morning after an overnight burn. But I just throw new wood on them and keep going.

Is there a specific reason you feel the ash and coals need to be cleaned out? You should be able to build a fire right on top of them.