Enviro Cabello firebox after first season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmose

Sep 11, 2016
maryland
Hello forum! I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to wood stoves. Last season we installed an Enviro Cabello 1700 insert into our fireplace (exterior chimney). We burned almost all day (and overnight burns eventually) for most of the season up until about early February when we ran out of seasoned wood. This forum was immensely helpful and I trawled through the forum extensively before purchasing and during the winter.

I was cleaning out the stove and replacing some broken firebricks in preparation for the winter and noticed that the inside of the firebox looks really quite beat up. Perhaps this is normal but I was hoping some more seasoned wood burners could weigh in since I really have no idea whether this is what normal usage looks like or if there is an issue that needs addressing:

Details of the install - ~24 ft exterior chimney, 6inch insulated liner to the wood stove. I honestly don't remember if we had a block off plate installed with the stove or not, I *think* we did but I haven't pulled off the trim to take a look yet. One of the things that worries me a bit is the rust that appears to be present on the front lip of the stove (better view in the first picture). The secondary burn tubes also look pretty beat up, but maybe this is normal?

My fatal flaws in my first season where not checking my wood (it had been split and stacked for about 12 months, oak and maple mix) for moisture, and not monitoring temperature in any way, although I always shutdown the air intake as soon as I could, generally after about 5-10 minutes of fully open, then slowly backing it down until it was mostly closed ~1/4'' to 3/8'' open. I've picked up a moisture meter and an infrared thermometer to try and get a better sense for things (as of right now, all of my wood is coming in at < 20% for the middle of fresh splits).

--edit:
didn't realize there was imgur integration. The inline display is lopping off the bottom of the image where the rust on the lip is displayed.

I am not seeing anything that is all that concerning. Remember the inside of the firebox is a very harsh environment. It takes a beating for sure. My Pacific Energy Summit Classic has stainless interior parts and they look like they have been through it. I pulled baffle and brushed it clean and that's it. They won't look very new anymore after a full season "in the fire".

Thanks for the sanity check, not knowing what normal vs abnormal is, it was hard for me to gauge. I was a bit unsettled by the rust on the front lip developing after only one season.

Firebricks should not be broken after one season. We're going on our 9th season with the T6 on original firebrick. Firebrick cracks typically occur from slamming in the wood and banging it against the rear or sides of the stove. This can happen when loading without leather gloves on a hot fire as you try to get the log in there quickly. It can also happen by loading oversized splits. I cracked a brick last year by being a bit too aggressive with a large split jammed in, though the rear brick is only lightly cracked and not needing replacement yet. Try to avoid banging logs against the firebrick and it will last much longer. Rust in the firebox is typical.

High heat accelerates oxidation. Combine this with high humidity over the summer and rust will appear. You can spray the interior of the firebox with mineral oil or PAM for a bit of protection if desired.

Thanks. These were two firebricks in the very front of the firebox, near the door. If I recall correctly, they may have been delivered cracked and the installer was supposed to bring around two new ones eventually but didn't and I didn't push the matter. Just bought a batch of replacements so that I have them on hand as needed.

I don't really care about the rust from an aesthetic stand point, just wondering if it's something I should be concerned about with regard to longevity/functionality.

Thanks!

Hi c- looks just fine. I'd brush down the inside with a paint brush and vacuum, then paint if you are particular the metal surfaces inside. This will preserve the metal and keep her looking like new. The ideal time to do this is after you are done with burning for the season, so it doesn't gather surface rust and stains over the summer. Great choice for a stove too.....

Thanks! I imagine I won't get around to painting it, but the idea of cleanging it out and then spraying it with pam or some form of oil at the end of the burning season seems like solid advice, I might have to try that out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.