md2002 Posted By md2002, Feb 18, 2018 at 3:34 PM

1. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    If taking it outside and blowing it out doesn’t do the trick then I’d say you’ve got a broken weld somewhere in the back exhaust passages that you can’t get to so some of the air that should be coming through the firepot is being sucked in somewhere else instead. I’ve seen a few stoves like that where no matter what you do to it or where you try to run the stove ( inside or outside) the flame just continues to burn lazy and dirty because your not getting as much airflow through the pot since the combustion blower is sucking air through other holes. If you find a spot on the outside back of the firebox with smoke stains then that’s probably where your leaking but more than likely it will be somewhere you can’t really access without cutting off your external heat shields. Believe it or not, pellet stoves don’t last forever.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    I thought of this and if it is the issue I'm covered under warranty but the stove is only 6 years old, I really hope it would last longer than that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    I had a firebox on a cb1200 that was only 5 years old crack earlier this year. It doesn’t happen often and usually only happens from stove abuse but sometimes things get built on Fridays.

4. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Try this With the stove off circulation blower off igniter off auger motor off
    start stove only thing running is the combustion blower but a smoke stick in the air intake
    watch how the smoke enters and circulates around the fire box and how it escapes up the chimney
    will give you a good idea how the draft is working and how it goes throw your burn pot and out of the stove

hearthtools likes this.
  5. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    This is an interesting idea. How do I shut these things off, just disconnect them? I assume the walls need to come out as well.

hearthtools likes this.
  6. hearthtools

hearthtools
    Moderator Emeritus 2.
    NULL

Jan 6, 2006
    Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    You could pull each fuse out if board or pull power connection from each

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

7. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    I have done anymore troubleshooting but I did take the walls off tonight again to clean and the creosote is getting worse and it now looks almost like an oily substance. Not sure if this is a hint to anything new.

8. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    I do not remember in any of the posts if you have opened the damper all the way
    to see if it burns any better ? Maybe I missed it inquiring minds want to know !!

9. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    Yes, I've opened it all the way for 15 or 20 minutes then it seems like the air is going to put it out so I close it again. I haven't sustained the damper all the way open for any long period of time. With everything I've done I can't remember if I tried just leaving it open to see what happens. I have played with damper and it seems to act the same regardless of the way I have it. I can try to open it all the way and see what happens but the pellets really fly around like that.

10. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    So I tried leaving the damper wide open this morning and the stove stayed lit on setting 3 for about 2 hours but my living room smelled like smoke with the damper completely open. I couldn't see any smoke though, so maybe it's not smoke. I 'm shutting it down and will attach the chimney, maybe it came loose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    I stand corrected, I did some cleaning, checked the pipe and fired it up again. I'm pretty sure the smell is the cresote burning and the smell is coming out the heat exchanger

12. md2002

md2002
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 18, 2011
    Loc:
    United States
    I think I'm done troubleshooting for awhile but in the mantimem, any suggestions on how to get the cresote off my interior walls? I tried scraping last night but it's not doing the job

13. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Put a hot fire on for a couple of hours to burn it off

14. hearthtools

hearthtools
    Moderator Emeritus 2.
    NULL

Jan 6, 2006
    Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    Plumbers torch
    See video on my facebook

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

15. mr meener

mr meener
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2017
    Loc:
    NY, USA
    you might think it is clean but if you took it out opened up every opening and blew it out from the front and back you would not believe what will come out. the other guy mentioned that