Enviro Milan wont stay lit - Burn pot full of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, one of the 1st things I did when all this started. When I did the deep cleaning there wasn't any Ash anywhere, I cleaned the entire stove inside and out. Typically all my problems have been solved with a good cleaning but not this time.
Did you take a small hose and Clean the ash pocket that is behind the brick and the chamber that leads to the combustion blower and a brush and clean all the area behind the brick and next to heat exchanger?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, one of the 1st things I did when all this started. When I did the deep cleaning there wasn't any Ash anywhere, I cleaned the entire stove inside and out. Typically all my problems have been solved with a good cleaning but not this time.
Is there a difference in flame when you adjust air? Tall and lazy less air intense and lower more air?
Do you have the proper cap?

One more thing to check
Watch the auger motor is it is feeding a few years ago I had a few motors on enviro stoves bad.
They worked but the hung for the first half second of being powered. Meaning they tried to turn but hung up then only fed for half the one time.
From my facebook page

Is there a difference in flame when you adjust air? Tall and lazy less air intense and lower more air?
Do you have the proper cap?

When I turn the air way up the pot liner begins to fill up quickly and the flame is high on the the left side but nothing on the right side and it looks as though it's about to put itself out. When I lower it the flame it just continues to burn on the left side and the burn pot fills up with pellets on the right side, only flame on left side. On the low air setting the flames recovered and it stayed lit. Very low flame, through all this one the low setting the flame really never gets high, it gets a little above the burn pot liner but not high. It looks very similar to the 46 second mark of your video.

I opened the door to move the pellets and the flame just about goes out. I close the door and the flame comes back very low. I also noticed when I moved the pellets, while the door was open and the stove was on, it looked like there were flames in the burn pot, under the burn pot liner - not sure if that's normal.

When I turn the air way up the pot liner begins to fill up quickly and the flame is high on the the left side but nothing on the right side and it looks as though it's about to put itself out. When I lower it the flame it just continues to burn on the left side and the burn pot fills up with pellets on the right side, only flame on left side. On the low air setting the flames recovered and it stayed lit. Very low flame, through all this one the low setting the flame really never gets high, it gets a little above the burn pot liner but not high. It looks very similar to the 46 second mark of your video.

I opened the door to move the pellets and the flame just about goes out. I close the door and the flame comes back very low. I also noticed when I moved the pellets, while the door was open and the stove was on, it looked like there were flames in the burn pot, under the burn pot liner - not sure if that's normal.
Is the ash pan door sealed?
Is the burn pot in correct
Is the burn pot liner warped?

You might have to test vaccume
You must be sure no blockage between burn chamber and blower in the combustion chambers behind brick.
There is a little well that goes down below burn pot area that is in each corner behind ash pan area.
And the passage that goes to the blower.

Is the ash pan door sealed?
Is the burn pot in correct
Is the burn pot liner warped?

Is the ash pan door sealed? Yes and the gasket was replaced last year
Is the burn pot in correct? Yes
Is the burn pot liner warped? Not that I can see

You might have to test vaccume
You must be sure no blockage between burn chamber and blower in the combustion chambers behind brick.
There is a little well that goes down below burn pot area that is in each corner behind ash pan area.
And the passage that goes to the blower.

I'd like to test the vacuum but I don't have one of those testers, although what's been happening it may be a good idea to have one on hand. What are they called? I intend to take the bricks off again tonight and do another deep cleaning, even though this was done when all this started. I'll look at the wells to be sure there's no blockage. I think it has something to do with the vacuum I just can't figure out what.

The tester is a Magnehelic guage. You can find them on ebay fairly priced. 0 - 1.0 range will work good on pellet stoves

The tester is a Magnehelic guage. You can find them on ebay fairly priced. 0 - 1.0 range will work good on pellet stoves
This is what i have been using for about a year around $35 Amazon
There are some for more money but this one works great
3556af611c3bce7d1a63a47c8eccf5ef.jpg

A few more data points. I took the bricks off again and gave it another good cleaning. It was pretty clean but there was a ton of creosote on the back wall which is very unusual for my stove. I've never had creosote on my back walls when cleaning, it was very hard and there was a lot of it. I had to scrape it off with a chisel. The other thing is the glass gets very dirty no matter what kind of pellets I use. The glass always gets dirty but not like it has been since this issue started. It get's dirty quick , and it's a thick coat of black crap. I believe it's a air or vacuum issue but now I have to figure out where the problem is coming from.

Attachments

• IMG_20180312_200517.jpg
    IMG_20180312_200517.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 265
A few more data points. I took the bricks off again and gave it another good cleaning. It was pretty clean but there was a ton of creosote on the back wall which is very unusual for my stove. I've never had creosote on my back walls when cleaning, it was very hard and there was a lot of it. I had to scrape it off with a chisel. The other thing is the glass gets very dirty no matter what kind of pellets I use. The glass always gets dirty but not like it has been since this issue started. It get's dirty quick , and it's a thick coat of black crap. I believe it's a air or vacuum issue but now I have to figure out where the problem is coming from.
Yes you have a vent restrictionor blower speed or intake problem.
Did you clean that chamber to the left and right behind brick small opening that go to combustion blowers
Not only do I get ash from there but I have found critter nest, acorns you name it.
Make sure cap is not plugged
Make sure air intake is clear.
Hell if you want to be sure take stove outside and blast with leaf blower

Reactions: johneh
Yes you have a vent restrictionor blower speed or intake problem.
Did you clean that chamber to the left and right behind brick small opening that go to combustion blowers
Not only do I get ash from there but I have found critter nest, acorns you name it.
Make sure cap is not plugged
Make sure air intake is clear.
Hell if you want to be sure take stove outside and blast with leaf blower

I was actually thinking of the cap last night while lying in bed. Right now we're in the middle of our 2nd blizzard in a week so doing anything outside is not an option. :) It may be the cap though, the stove sounds like a jet plane when it starts up and while it's running since I put the new exhaust motor in.

I can only find one opening to the combustion blower, and the opening I'm talking about is the opening that goes out to the chimney, if they're are any other openings I'm completely missing them. I unscrewed the intake valve from the stove last night and looked behind and everything seemed clear. I also turned the convection motor up to 3 setting see if that helps. Default is 2.

Not to leave anything out, when I cleaned the convection blower the holes for the screws seem to be stripped so I tightened them as much as I could but the screws spin and aren't as tight as they could be. That being said, the stove was acting the same way when they screws were tight.

I should mention I do appreciate all this help!

I was actually thinking of the cap last night while lying in bed. Right now we're in the middle of our 2nd blizzard in a week so doing anything outside is not an option. :) It may be the cap though, the stove sounds like a jet plane when it starts up and while it's running since I put the new exhaust motor in.

I can only find one opening to the combustion blower, and the opening I'm talking about is the opening that goes out to the chimney, if they're are any other openings I'm completely missing them. I unscrewed the intake valve from the stove last night and looked behind and everything seemed clear. I also turned the convection motor up to 3 setting see if that helps. Default is 2.

Not to leave anything out, when I cleaned the convection blower the holes for the screws seem to be stripped so I tightened them as much as I could but the screws spin and aren't as tight as they could be. That being said, the stove was acting the same way when they screws were tight.

I should mention I do appreciate all this help!
OK I have been saying cap all along because I have been having many people with wrong type of caps and plugged up this year. (see my fb page)
here is another way if you can't get on roof.
Going to sound messy but only a option.
Pull the stove
Run shop vacuum and brush from bottom.
Then connect a leaf blower to pipe seal around and blast Pipe
Run vacuum same time just in case blow back.
I do this with dryer vents.

OK I have been saying cap all along because I have been having many people with wrong type of caps and plugged up this year. (see my fb page)
here is another way if you can't get on roof.
Going to sound messy but only a option.
Pull the stove
Run shop vacuum and brush from bottom.
Then connect a leaf blower to pipe seal around and blast Pipe
Run vacuum same time just in case blow back.
I do this with dryer vents.

I just figured out what you meant by cap, sorry. I just looked with binoculars and there is brown snow running over where the pipe meets the chimney. I've never seen this before. Hopefully it's not frozen up there, I have one of those things you attach to a drill and I can sent it up the pipe, Lint eater or something it's called. I usually do this from the outside but have done it from the inside. I does get messy. This will be next, I do clean the stove twice a year but I've only done it once this year.

I checked out your page. Nice page and information

Last edited:
I can only find one opening to the combustion blower, and the opening I'm talking about is the opening that goes out to the chimney, if they're are any other openings I'm completely missing them.
The opening you have not found or cleaned is between the fire box and the combustion fan . The slide plate for air control is in that opening
could that area be plugged with ash ?

The opening you have not found or cleaned is between the fire box and the combustion fan . The slide plate for air control is in that opening
could that area be plugged with ash ?

Nope, that's clean, it was part of the deep cleaning. The stove couldn't be any cleaner. I've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.

Today I used the lint eater and cleaned the chimney pipe, I also did what you suggested and shot the chimney pipe with the leaf blower from the inside and I still have the same issue. If I put my hand near the quick connect and the wind blows I can feel air getting sucked up so I'm not sure if that means the cap is ok. There's not much more I can do until I can get on the roof and look at the cap. I looked with binoculars but couldn't tell if there are any issues up there. Tomorrow my friend is bringing me a vacuum tester tool as well. I'm going to test the vacuum and get on the roof and check the cap. Until then I'm done, this has been consuming me for about 3 weeks now! I intend to keep the stove off until then, the stove does stay lit but the flame is not acting the way it should and there is no where near the amount of heat coming out of the stove that there should be. The heat is lukewarm and not hot at all I'm just wasting pellets and electricity at this point because there is very little heat coming out of the stove. It's not working at all how it should be.

Adding another pic. I'm still concerned about these fines I keep finding at the baser of the auger near the convection fan opening. I'v cleaned back there every time I've pulled the stove out to check something and the next time I look, the fines are back.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180313_175103.jpg
    MVIMG_20180313_175103.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 252
Today I used the lint eater and cleaned the chimney pipe, I also did what you suggested and shot the chimney pipe with the leaf blower from the inside and I still have the same issue. If I put my hand near the quick connect and the wind blows I can feel air getting sucked up so I'm not sure if that means the cap is ok. There's not much more I can do until I can get on the roof and look at the cap. I looked with binoculars but couldn't tell if there are any issues up there. Tomorrow my friend is bringing me a vacuum tester tool as well. I'm going to test the vacuum and get on the roof and check the cap. Until then I'm done, this has been consuming me for about 3 weeks now! I intend to keep the stove off until then, the stove does stay lit but the flame is not acting the way it should and there is no where near the amount of heat coming out of the stove that there should be. The heat is lukewarm and not hot at all I'm just wasting pellets and electricity at this point because there is very little heat coming out of the stove. It's not working at all how it should be.

Adding another pic. I'm still concerned about these fines I keep finding at the baser of the auger near the convection fan opening. I'v cleaned back there every time I've pulled the stove out to check something and the next time I look, the fines are back.
Well if you think the vent is clear and all passages clean there is no way of telling if it is a combustion blower issue without checking vacuum from the firebox.
If you have the correct vacuum
Have you checked the auger feed?
Are you getting full auger times
And full auger feed time like my other post about auger hang

The fines are kind of normal
But if the bushing is warn then more will fall through.
Most larger hardware stores have bushings for about $5

Well if you think the vent is clear and all passages clean there is no way of telling if it is a combustion blower issue without checking vacuum from the firebox.
If you have the correct vacuum
Have you checked the auger feed?
Are you getting full auger times
And full auger feed time like my other post about auger hang

I saw the post and the video but how do I test or know if it's feeding correctly? This may be it, the flame characteristics look very similar to my stove. At this point the flame hardly ever goes above the burn pot

I saw the post and the video but how do I test or know if it's feeding correctly? This may be it, the flame characteristics look very similar to my stove. At this point the flame hardly ever goes above the burn pot
Watch the motor
If you see the armature trying to feed but not rotating gear box for full feed time then bad.
If it feeds as soon as power is charged to auger you are good.

Maybe a dumb question:

To measure the exhaust vacuum level, connect the sensor end of the vacuum tube to a magnehelic gauge as shown in Figure 39. Note: Checking the vacuum reading on the exhaust manifold will give a higher reading than when taken from the firebox where we normally use the magnehelic to set damper airflow.

I get the 1st part about the vacuum tube, I think, but how do I measure the vacuum inside the firebox?

Maybe a dumb question:

To measure the exhaust vacuum level, connect the sensor end of the vacuum tube to a magnehelic gauge as shown in Figure 39. Note: Checking the vacuum reading on the exhaust manifold will give a higher reading than when taken from the firebox where we normally use the magnehelic to set damper airflow.

I get the 1st part about the vacuum tube, I think, but how do I measure the vacuum inside the firebox?
I think there is a very small hole in the ash pan or near the heat exchanger not sure on that unit
I have only sold one of the steel model.