enviro windsor high temp sensor tripping UPDATE still tripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
so decided totake apart the stove for its big cleaning due to wife saying its getting cold up here at night ( LOL ) so I break it down, remove brick panels to vacuum and clean chimney ect......

pull the heat exchanger scraper, pretty dirty.... vacuum up..... scraped again and didnt feel right..... get the light and wipe it down inside and BAM......

the area at the top of the fire box is dented... dented nicely on both sides and really hard to notice and looks factory. I am use to my lennox montage that has a small pull to scrape the heat exchanger ) get a big screw drive and pry it out on both sides and clean it up. then i chip away at the solidified ash nuggets in there for the next half hour......

finally.... brushed them out, cleaned, and now the heat exchanger scraper can be pulled all the way out. now the stove is fully cleaned and ready to go. hopefully LOL

*** had no idea the top was dented only allowing the scraper to go 4 inches instead of 10 inches. herd to tell when looking as not a lot of opening to see. Hopefully this will solve the overheating issue as it makes sense seeing i was only cleaning 40% of the heat exchanger. Man I had No idea that the scraper was stuck and dented..... teach me to buy a demo stove......

i will update again when running it....

thanks
steve

so decided totake apart the stove for its big cleaning due to wife saying its getting cold up here at night ( LOL ) so I break it down, remove brick panels to vacuum and clean chimney ect......

pull the heat exchanger scraper, pretty dirty.... vacuum up..... scraped again and didnt feel right..... get the light and wipe it down inside and BAM......

the area at the top of the fire box is dented... dented nicely on both sides and really hard to notice and looks factory. I am use to my lennox montage that has a small pull to scrape the heat exchanger ) get a big screw drive and pry it out on both sides and clean it up. then i chip away at the solidified ash nuggets in there for the next half hour......

finally.... brushed them out, cleaned, and now the heat exchanger scraper can be pulled all the way out. now the stove is fully cleaned and ready to go. hopefully LOL

*** had no idea the top was dented only allowing the scraper to go 4 inches instead of 10 inches. herd to tell when looking as not a lot of opening to see. Hopefully this will solve the overheating issue as it makes sense seeing i was only cleaning 40% of the heat exchanger. Man I had No idea that the scraper was stuck and dented..... teach me to buy a demo stove......

i will update again when running it....

thanks
steve
IHMO is that 160 degree high limit is way too low of a trip Point when most stoves in the industry use a 250
Ask Enviro why their newer stoves use a 200 degree high limit which still gives the Enviro Empress the same problem you are seeing! The Breckwell Big E uses a 300 degree auto reset snap disc for the High Limit but the Auto Reset is another problem we will not get into here!
Just my 2 cents that is the core of your problem. :)

Reactions: RyanMcD
I think the high limit sensor is 200 degrees on this already.

Still could be to low of a sensor like you said, but seeing the dented area not letting me clean half of the heat exchanger it's at least part of the problem causing the over heating

I think the high limit sensor is 200 degrees on this already.

Still could be to low of a sensor like you said, but seeing the dented area not letting me clean half of the heat exchanger it's at least part of the problem causing the over heating
If you have a compressor then you may be able to easily clean that area by blasting out the ash?

Sorry, no insulation back there.

Was able to unbend and get the heat exchanger pull scraper to work full and correctly. Ash now vacuums out easily now.

Stove has been running on level 3 for 5 hours and is running nicely... fingers crossed

There is a metal “brick liner” on the back of the firebox that goes around the sides. It has a hole cut around for the pellets to drop into the fire pot. Have you taken that out?