EPA certd stove with 8" flue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
I'm wanting to research up on efficient modern stoves with 8" flues. I have a 8" classA chimney in my shop and currently run my old Lakewood on it. It's really a decent heater but it's inefficient as all hell. Pure smoke dragon. So I'd like to replace it with something that'll burn clean and not gobble wood up like crazy.

I know of the BK king. Great stove by all reports, I'd love to have one. To pricey new for me to take the plunge. Not really for me, but for my wife. Lol.

So I hunt the classifieds fiercely. But it would help me I think if I knew of any other efficient stoves with a 8" flue.

So what's out there?

There is a buck stove that has an 8" vent the regency 5100 and a country hearth. I am sure there are others but none that I can think of off hand.

Reactions: Squisher
Have you had much experience with the 5100? I see a Hearth shop south of me has an ad for up to $1000 off retail as a end of the year sale. But they don't list any actual prices.

I'm mostly hoping to be able to research a bunch up so i can scoop something second hand. But I may have to do something before next fall as the Lakewood is driving me batty. To burn hot and clear I can almost stand there and just keep feeding it and to damp it down for any kind of burn times well, its smokey. We live in an area where air quality is often poor in the winter. And espescially being a sweep I don't want to contribute to the negative image of wood burning. My neighbours are far away but my farm/shop is clearly visible for a long ways being surrounded by fields.

I'll add too that it doesn't have to be a cat or hybrid tech that I'm looking for. A big baffle or tube burner would fit the bill too.

I'll add too that it doesn't have to be a cat or hybrid tech that I'm looking for. A big baffle or tube burner would fit the bill too.
I think you can get the buck in either a cat or a tube stove but I am not sure on that I could be wrong.

Have you had much experience with the 5100?
not allot we have sold 4 or 5 now. The customers seem happy they have pretty long burn times but not as long as the king mainly due to the lack of a thermostatic control.

Yah. Pretty new stove still.

Thanks for the input guys.

Any big box or cheaper or off brand kind of stoves with a 8" flue come to mind? Wife will go ballistic if I sneak off and spend more on a shop stove than I did for the house. ::P

Any big box or cheaper or off brand kind of stoves with a 8" flue come to mind? Wife will go ballistic if I sneak off and spend more on a shop stove than I did for the house.
I know there is a big stove from J A Roby but I dont know what size flue it has or anything about it.

Your best bet is probably gonna be a Buck 91 or 94. I see them pretty often for under $1K. Do you see many Buck stoves up there?

Do you really think you need an 8" stove? The NC30 from New England stove works is suppose to be a real beast.

Do you really think you need an 8" stove? The NC30 from New England stove works is suppose to be a real beast.
Yes and I know plenty of people run them on 8" flues. 6" would be better but 8" would probably work.

Your best bet is probably gonna be a Buck 91 or 94. I see them pretty often for under $1K. Do you see many Buck stoves up there?
I was gonna say, he needs to heat a lot of air. The 91 (and probably the 94) can be set up as free-standing or insert...maybe the Kuma too. I would get something with blower-boosted convection on the sides, back and top...need to pull as much heat off the stove as possible.
I haven't seen a lot here about the 94...a couple posts here and there. Have you heard much about 'em or seen one in action? I wonder if you can get more wood in the 94 than into the 91?

Yes and I know plenty of people run them on 8" flues. 6" would be better but 8" would probably work.
What about the 6" Liberty? That's got blower that covers the sides...

I run a 6" stove on an 8" flue with great results. My 6" and 8" were the same height and the 8" outperformed it. I've since raised my 6" flue 3' and now they perform about the same.

I see no problem with it under normal circumstances.

Yes, why 8" flue collar limitation? Is this a short chimney? If not, I'd get a big Drolet or Englander for a shop stove or keep your eye out for a used Summit.

The chimney is decent height I've never measured it but about 20'. I figured it'd be best to match the flue to the chimney. But now that you mention it the wood circulator that the Lakewood replaced was a 6" flue. So maybe I should look at large 6" too. Just figured 8" was where the monsters would be. Big btus and burn times.