EV #4 for Woodgeek!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have also determined that the cargo area carries 1/2 face cord.
ha ha, yes, I too haul firewood in my bolt. It can hold a lot of 1.5 cubic foot moving boxes filled with firewood.

state rebate ($750) this is a 35% discount on TCO, after purchase.

I find PA EV rebate, not the best but at the same time not the worst. Some states offer a much higher rebate.

seeing that this isn't your first EV i am assuming you are already using ezpass green tag?

I find PA EV rebate, not the best but at the same time not the worst. Some states offer a much higher rebate.

seeing that this isn't your first EV i am assuming you are already using ezpass green tag?

In 2017, I got $2.5k from PA for the Bolt IIRC. And the application was checking a box on my tax form. The rebate for $750 took me 30 minutes to fill out. <>

I looked at the green pass, but couldn't find good info. Seemed to be a NY thing?

In 2017, I got $2.5k from PA for the Bolt IIRC. And the application was checking a box on my tax form. The rebate for $750 took me 30 minutes to fill out. <>

I looked at the green pass, but couldn't find good info. Seemed to be a NY thing?

i have PA reg. But simply applied for one, and got one. green tag discounts are applied where available (NY, NJ) when using EZ Pass. Hey get whatever discounts you can ;)

Reactions: woodgeek
Mu local grid is about 50% fracked gas and 50% legacy nukes. I charge almost exclusively during low demand periods (midnight-5AM), so my electricity is probably mostly nuclear.

Burning the face cord in the 6 coldest weeks of the year will save me about 2000 kWh of electricity, which almost the same as my annual usage in the EV.

The wood is punky oak that a friend's Mom (a former woodburner) was going to drag into the woods to rot if I hadn't taken it.
Sorry if that came off as critical. I too drive an EV and burn wood.
I was just conveying my amusement at the state of our current energy situation and your situation where the most advanced technology was being used to support the oldest.

Reactions: woodgeek
I watched several 2022 Bolt and Tesla Model 3 comparisons (the latter is now about $10-15k more). The latter has 250 hp vs 200 hp, and a 5.4 s versus 6.5 s 0-60 time.

Several reviewers said the Tesla was a smoother and quieter ride than the Bolt on a smooth rode, but definitely less fun on a bumpy road. YMMV.

The stock tires are not crazy low profile, but they're not tall truck tires either. The X fatally damaged three tires on the 2017 Bolt in 1 year by hitting deep potholes and a curb at speed, but I think that was more her than the car. :) Fun with no spare. There is room for a tiny donut spare in the back if you really want (I think in Canada they are required to include one), but you will have to source that and a jack yourself.

I am going to swap out the stock LRR tires (which are self-sealing) for Cross-Climate 2's for better grip and winter performance. And then put the stocks back on in 39 mos when I return it. That will probably drop the EPA range to 225 miles EPA, but it should be acceptable snow and ice and rain.
I would be interested in what pressure you end up running them at. I’m now 15% over sticker pressure on both my CC sets.

I would be interested in what pressure you end up running them at. I’m now 15% over sticker pressure on both my CC sets.
I will probably run them at 41-42 instead of 38. Higher than that impedes grip too much and I worry.

That's what I do on the Volt.

Reactions: EbS-P