EV #4 for Woodgeek!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
Lewis.jpg

Its a 2022 Bolt EV, better trim (LT2). Its a lot like my 2017 (red) Bolt, except better safety tech and leather seats.

I got it last Th, already driven it 700 miles, and fast charged it 2X.

I'm pretty stoked.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Sweet. It looks good in black.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
I didn't realize the bolt had a 65kwh battery, I always thought they were a city car with a sub 30kwh pack.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Did you keep the 2017?

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
I didn't realize the bolt had a 65kwh battery, I always thought they were a city car with a sub 30kwh pack.

Yup. The car is VERY misunderstood. The cabin is large and airy, like a small SUV. The seating height is like a crossover, between a sedan and an SUV. And the shape of the car (and no hood) makes it look like a tiny sub-compact car like a FIT.

In reality it a car with a very spacious interior, tons of legroom front and back, a high riding height, plenty of cargo space and a 259 mile EPA range. And a decent 6.5 second 0-60 time. :)

People go WOW, when they open the door to get in. Think TARDIS.

And according to CNET, the 2023 model will be $6k cheaper than what I just spent! But probably hard to find for a few more months.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
They do seem to be good choice once the battery issue was resolved. Hopefully the high gas prices will get more folks into them, the first ruin of Bolts were hampered by the cheap gas prices that were not that long ago. Once they become common place more folks will buy them. Chevy needs to sell them to keep selling SUVs now that the CAFE standards are back so I expect they will keep them attractively priced. My bet is the range will go up in a few years.

I think the Bolt also cured the Volt Curse of banging one's head on the front pillar when getting in and out due to the steep windshield angle. The owners got used to it but someone Igot ride from one day joked about it.

Reactions: woodgeek

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I am waiting to see how the Equinox turns out, though it is tempting to sell/trade the Volt now while the value is high. Will the 2023 Bolt have the Ultium battery pack?

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
Yup. the (identical) 2023 MY MSRP will come in at $26k base and $29.5k fully equipped, like mine. I also get $750 back from my state. Seems like a steal TBH. The average new car sold in the US last year cost $47k.

While I leased at $6k more than that, my residual on the lease did NOT drop. So that's OK.

The Bolt EV and (stretched) EUV are dead ends... they will stick with the 'BEV2' platform. I think they will be the discount offering and all the new BEVs will be on the Ultium platform.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
How does it do on broken roads with massive bumps, humps, and potholes?

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
How does it do on broken roads with massive bumps, humps, and potholes?
I watched several 2022 Bolt and Tesla Model 3 comparisons (the latter is now about $10-15k more). The latter has 250 hp vs 200 hp, and a 5.4 s versus 6.5 s 0-60 time.

Several reviewers said the Tesla was a smoother and quieter ride than the Bolt on a smooth rode, but definitely less fun on a bumpy road. YMMV.

The stock tires are not crazy low profile, but they're not tall truck tires either. The X fatally damaged three tires on the 2017 Bolt in 1 year by hitting deep potholes and a curb at speed, but I think that was more her than the car. :) Fun with no spare. There is room for a tiny donut spare in the back if you really want (I think in Canada they are required to include one), but you will have to source that and a jack yourself.

I am going to swap out the stock LRR tires (which are self-sealing) for Cross-Climate 2's for better grip and winter performance. And then put the stocks back on in 39 mos when I return it. That will probably drop the EPA range to 225 miles EPA, but it should be acceptable snow and ice and rain.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
I'm very happy with my 2019 Bolt, especially with the replacement (now 65 kWh battery pack). Ride is great, it is very quiet, and I can baby it to 300+ miles in the summer. I do a lot of road trips in it and while I don't love the relatively slower DCFC of the Bolt compared to some of the newer EVs, I don't find it that objectionable either. I like that the 2022 Bolt now has a sunroof option - couldn't understand why they didn't offer that earlier. The reason the dealer gave me was BS - reduced mileage when open (never found this very true with my Chevy Sonic with a sunroof).

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I like that the 2022 Bolt now has a sunroof option - couldn't understand why they didn't offer that earlier. The reason the dealer gave me was BS - reduced mileage when open (never found this very true with my Chevy Sonic with a sunroof).
More likely it would be slightly reduced mileage due to the added weight. There also might have been some structural reinforcement needed for it?

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
During the long wait period to get the new battery for my 2017 Bolt, now nearing 40,000 miles. I pondered getting a 2022 Bolts. Except for the battery issue, I have no complaints about my Bolt. And the new battery has extended my range. With the warm summer now finally here, battery range charges to about 280 miles with Hilltop Reserve "on" and so far up to about 305 miles with Hill Top Reserve "off." Range wise it is competitive with my wife's Tesla Model 3. And if the Bolt had a fast charging network like Tesla, the Bolt could have been a hit out of the park and established Chevy as as a world leader in the compact BEV market

So, the reason I didn't get a 2022 Bolt is that is simply that I followed the words of wisdom "if it isn't broke, don't fix it," And my 2017 Bolt is not broke (yet).

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
My guess is you will not regret holding off, battery tech is changing rapidly with a lot of new tech that is on the cusp of being commercial. CATL a big Chinese battery supplier is claiming they will be shipping a 1000 KM (620 Mile) range battery next year.