Expanding a Firebox - Is it possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colyer

Jan 13, 2014
CT
Hi all,

I am, fingers crossed, going to be a first time homeowner in a month so I'm a beginner at owning/maintaining fireplaces. I do love a wood burning fireplace and understand the efficiency, or lack thereof, of a wood burning fireplace. I will, eventually, add a wood burning stove to the kitchen, but for now I'll keep my questions to the - what's possible, what's not variety.

After a bunch of research I've been unable to find the answer. So, here's my dilemma and please pardon my ignorance. The house we are buying has this great family room, nice and large with vaulted ceilings and a fireplace on one end surrounded in brick. Currently the brick cladding is about two feet wide on either side of the face. Personally, I like a large opening for pure looks and this fireplace opening is on the small side and I was wondering...

Is it possible to widen a fireplace?

Thanks a lot everyone, and if you need more information I'll do my best to provide it. If this is an example of "Yes, there are stupid questions", then I apologize and hope to learn more.

Darn near anything is possible, but in this case probably not realistic unless you are willing to essentially rebuild the fireplace. And that is pretty much what it would take - rebuild the main components of the fire "box".

Welcome. The first thing to check is whether this is a masonry or pre-fab zero clearance fireplace. If it's a ZC unit there may be little masonry involved.

I appreciate the responses. Went by last night and it is a masonry fireplace. Looks like my dreams of the really big fireplace will have to wait for the outdoor fireplace :) Thanks all, really do appreciate the quick replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.