Experiences with Lennox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKranger22

Dec 23, 2012
Curious to know what experiences folks here have with Lennox inserts? It seems that the general impression is that the Country line is very well built, good quality inserts. But when Lennox bought them out, the good reputation went out the window (your typical small company / juggernaut buyout scenario). Also, many folks don't like the notion that Lennox is not a stove company first and foremost.

Has anyone here actually had a negative experience with a Lennox insert, or is this much ado about nothing? I don't know the terms of the buyout scenario, but for all I know, the Country business model and personnel could remain unchanged, just with a new parent company.

Looking for some specific feedback, as I am very interested in the C260 and C310 models. My closet hearth store is a big Lennox dealer, and claims they have a great product and good service to back it up if ever needed. I'm exploring a lot of other models and dealers, too (Osburn 2400, Lopi Freedom, etc), but keep coming back to the Lennox line. I also like the fact that if I need something from my dealer, I won't have to drive 50 miles to get there. This isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice.

I haven't heard of major issues with the Country line. They are still made locally here for Lennox. It's a basic, solid design. I can't see why Lennox would want to cheapen it. The C260 is a good heater from what I have seen in the one install that a friend in Seattle has. The C310 is a beast. There are lots of alternatives in this size. You might take a look at an Enviro Kodiak 1700 and a PE Summit while checking.

Begreen: Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, I do not have a very good local network of supporting dealers for Enviro or Pacific Energy. I really wish I had a P.E. dealer nearby, as many folks speak very highly of the Summit. My local (100 miles or less) dealers consist of Lennox, Lopi, Napoleon, Osburn and Vermont Castings, as well as a few lesser brands that I was not overly interested in. Of these brands, my top choices are the Lennox Canyon C310, Lopi Freedom and Osburn 2400. To me, it’s a tossup for any one of these three stoves, as they all appear to be well-built, quality products. The 2400 is the cheapest of the bunch, has a great warranty , puts out a ton of heat and seems to have a faithful following, but I think it might be a little overkill for my application. I was really sold on the Lopi Freedom - 2.9 CF firebox, 24” log capacity, solid construction - but started to question (thanks to you) a unit with a tapered firebox, as I really want to be able to load N&S / E&W. The Lennox C310 (to me) seems to be a good compromise between the Freedom and 2400: It’s built like a tank (every bit if not more solid than the Lopi), puts out a ton of heat (perhaps a little less than the 2400), and still has a good sized firebox (3.05 CF and takes a 22.5” log). I also really like the fact that the Canyon weighs in at 550 lbs (100 more than the Lopi and about the same as the Osburn). All of that mass should equate to excellent radiant heat. I actually put a deposit on a Lopi Freedom a few weeks back, but having had some time to research further, I think I will be cancelling the deposit and placing an order for the C310. I figured I’d be spending about $500 more on the Lennox, but turns out, I just obtained a quote that is virtually identical to that of the Lopi Freedom. With pricing being equal, I think the Lennox C310 is a little more stove than the Freedom (that’s not a knock by any means). Needless to say, I’m pretty well sold on the Canyon.

The only thing I can say is that the Canyon works best on a 8" system.

It comes with a 8" collar. It has a large box, large door. If you have a tall system 6" might work alright. Smoke spillage from door is the biggest problem. They do have a 8" to 6" reducer make sure that is on your quote.

Daryl - Thanks for the advice. I have a few questions on the subject, and just so I understand the issue, I'm hoping for some clarification.

In looking at the Osburn 2400, it appears to require a 6" diameter liner system. This has a slightly bigger box and a door every bit as large as the Canyon. Should one expect similar smoke concerns with this setup? Is this a result of too little draft? And would it cause irregularities in burn time, or simply the smoke issue?

Sorry for having so many questions. I just want to make sure I understand the issue and get the right setup on order.

Thanks again for your help!

--Andrew

This was my first season running the Country Canyon. I've got an 18' 6" insulated double-wall liner. It has heated our 2600 sqft house really well this season - no oil burned. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. BTW, I got the stove guy to throw in the reducer for free.

DH,

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that your first season with the Lennox Canyon has been a success.

I have a number of questions. First, how open is the floor plan of your house, and where is the stove located? My house is 2300 SF, and the unit wIll be in an open, cathedral ceiling room. Did you have any concerns that the Canyon would be too much stove for your application?

Also, how long of burn times are you experiencing? I know that most of this has to do with what kind of wood you are using and moisture content, along with how you are operating the stove. Were you able to achieve overnight burns consistently?

On the install, did your dealer have any specific reasons for going with the 6" liner vs the 8" liner? Did he highlight any draft concerns as mentioned by Daryl due to the short chimney height?

Lastly, if you dont mind me asking, what did your setup run you with install? I'm being quoted around $3,700 installed including the liner.

Thanks for the insight! Would love to see some pictures if you have a few available.

Sorry for the delayed response. It's been very hectic here, and hopefully this information is not too late. I'll answer them one at a time.

First, how open is the floor plan of your house, and where is the stove located?

Here's a link to the floorplan (SketchUp is great!). Insert is where the fireplace is.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/should-i-even-bother-with-an-insert.87878/#post-1138124

Did you have any concerns that the Canyon would be too much stove for your application

I figured it was about right. Problem is moving air into the upstairs far bedrooms. We augment with space heaters at night only. Insert room gets a little toasty during shoulder season, but not really in the dead of winter.

Also, how long of burn times are you experiencing

Burn times...hmm. When I first started I would load up the stove to the gills at around 10pm, wait for it to stabilize, turn the air down, then go to bed. At 6am I had enough hot coals to throw some kindling on and be off to the races. Now I'm a little lazy and just get up a little earlier rather than trying to achieve these long burn times. The last 2-3 hours the temperature is < 400F, so there's not much convective heat going on.

Were you able to achieve overnight burns consistently

When I wanted to, but I'm a little lazy.

On the install, did your dealer have any specific reasons for going with the 6" liner vs the 8" liner? Did he highlight any draft concerns as mentioned by Daryl due to the short chimney height

I did the install myself and chose the 6" flue. Part sizing, part cost, and part convenience of inserting an insulated SS liner down my flue. If I don't have a strong draft (or open the door fast) I'll get the occasional waft of smoke, but it's not that big of a deal.

Lastly, if you dont mind me asking, what did your setup run you with install? I'm being quoted around $3,700 installed including the liner.

That's a really good price! Mine was about $200 less than that for the unit (delivered) and all of the extras but not installed. Installation was not that big of a deal, though, and I like knowing what's going on behind the facade.

Pic below!

FireplaceInsert.jpg

Deerhunter - Thanks for the response! I pulled the trigger on the Canyon as well, and had it installed last weekend. Haven't really put it to the test yet, as I still need a hearth extension and an outlet box installed to run the blower. I'll be tackling the electrical this weekend, and should have my hearth extension the following.

My house is considerably more open than yours and a little smaller, so I suspect I won't have near the challenges in moving heat around as you do. If the Canyon is meeting your needs with more square footage and segmented rooms, it should keep me exceptionally warm. I can't wait to put it through it's paces next season.

I went with an 8" liner as recommended for my chimney height (I only have 13-14 feet). After install was complete, we lit a small test fire and it seemed to draft well. Hopefully, the same will be true when it's 5 degrees out with 40 MPH winds!

I'll try to post up a few more pictures of my install over the weekend. Overall, I'm very happy with the look and quality of construction of the unit. Hopefully, the performance measures up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.