Extremely orange cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolves1

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2014
Malverne ny
There are no flames in the stove just red glowing logs but the cat is glowing extremely orange, it looks like there are flames in front of the cat and behind the shield, the cat thermometer reads 900. Is this normal and is this bad for the cat?

There are no flames in the stove just red glowing logs but the cat is glowing extremely orange, it looks like there are flames in front of the cat and behind the shield, the cat thermometer reads 900. Is this normal and is this bad for the cat?
My cat currently reads 1461. I think you are ok.

Sounds normal to me

I get the occasional fire burning on the actual face of the cat. Don’t know why it happens but it happens when the cat is hot and glowing.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I was worried that the flames in front of it would damage the cat.

Does it look my avatar? Not hurting it.

I was worried that the flames in front of it would damage the cat.
Woodstock at one point said that the pre-ignition of smoke in front of the cat didn't constitute "flame impingement," which only occurs when roaring flame is slamming into the face of the cat.

Reactions: Highbeam
I can't see the cat on my encore so no idea when it happens on that stove. It will happen from time to time with my difiant. The cat in that stove has to be 7 years old now and still kicking along.

The cat will very often be doing more eating and get oranger when there are no flames in the firebox. The flames burn the smoke. If you turn the intake air down low enough, there is not enough heat to support flames but still plenty of heat to smoke that whole fuel load and let the cat chow down.

Woodstock at one point said that the pre-ignition of smoke in front of the cat didn't constitute "flame impingement," which only occurs when roaring flame is slamming into the face of the cat.
+1
. . .except they phrased it as "flames getting sucked into/through the cat with too much draft."

Reactions: Woody Stover
Every time I read the title to this thread . . . this is what I think of . . .

Attachments

• Garfield-5.jpg
    Garfield-5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: coutufr and lsucet