F2450 vs F2500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nancio

Nov 21, 2022
italy
Hi there

i m writing from Europe, we dont have so much info s about Regency and i want to ask some help here (as stove import makes them not cheap)

I need to heat a not well insulated house, around 1500sq.
When i saw this kind of stoves i went crazy to find a dealer and feedback
What i need is moderate long burnings assuming 10h is way enough, so i dont need to choose some Blaze Kings
Those two brands is what i can find in my country, so please do not suggest anything else even if better, at least if you dont know any seller in Europe

My main question is about cat stoves. What s roughly a life of combustor?
Replacing the cat is not very expensive but at the end make it sense only if after 4/5 years
Stove will run from october to March with a peak just of 2 months, thnx to global warming
And what about buying an F 2500 and maybe not engaging often the cat to make it last more? Or maybe the hot temperature of the inside stove will ruin it anyway?

Blaze king are very costly here, and a F3500 is not what i really need (prices 165% the F2450 , 140% the F2500)

Last hint is about chimney, my actual house got something like 22/23feet, it is too much?

thnx in Advance

Honestly I would not recommend the cascade line. Go with noncat or the 3500

well, please just explain me why, from my point of view a f2500 seems just a smaller f3500

if a f2450 burning time is really 8hr i would be satisfied
however staying non cat here means i can find even a jotul f500 which prices 30/35% less than the regency

i m looking even for nestor martin, the new cat versions are more affordable here in Europe (make it 4000$) and i read hybrid burning time goes up to 15hr at least from the 8/10 non cat

The 2500 and 3500 are completely different stoves with completely different internals. The 3500 was designed from scratch as a hybrid stove the 2500 is pretty much just their tube stove with a goofy sliding cat mechanism added.

If you can get a noncat jotul f500 for that much less than a regency I would absolutely go that route

Reactions: Nancio
Yep i presumed that the f2500 was a f2450 with cat but anycase the real cat stove is then the f3500

To make an example, F2450 prices 3500, jotul f500 2800.
F3500 not less than 5800
However with f3500 specs our country gives a tax bonus which cuts the price up to 50% in some cases and 40% in others
Even f500 maybe can have some price cuts
However, from what i read, we have only the non cat Version of f500, in U.S. the new v3 should have it

the only concern now is about jotul which i m not informed at all, do you really get a primary and secondary burn whith that thing and a decent burning time (the thing i want, got two 'normal' stoves now that from beginning of the fire to the end of the coal u can count max 2hrs)

Last edited:
Yep i presumed that the f2500 was a f2450 with cat but anycase the real cat stove is then the f3500

To make an example, F2450 prices 3500, jotul f500 2800.
F3500 not less than 5800
However with f3500 specs our country gives a tax bonus which cuts the price up to 50% in some cases and 40% in others
Even f500 maybe can have some price cuts
However, from what i read, we have only the non cat Version of f500, in U.S. the new v3 should have it

the only concern now is about jotul which i m not informed at all, do you really get a primary and secondary burn whith that thing and a decent burning time (the thing i want, got two 'normal' stoves now that from beginning of the fire to the end of the coal u can count max 2hrs)
Yes the jotul will give you good secondary combustion and pretty good burn times.

And jotul is having issues with the v3 cat stove I absolutely wouldn't recommend one of them at this point

assuming a f3500 is out my range even if a great performer, then i ll forget any f2500
i got a friend of mine that could be a dealer of jotul will ask tomorrow for opinions

I just had a chat about f500, price seems to be rose around the same of Regency f2450
As a non expert of both, looking for burning time over rough power, what i should pick?

Still interested on f3500 but really prices here are way too high, cat replacements are double than in the U. S.

I just had a chat about f500, price seems to be rose around the same of Regency f2450
As a non expert of both, looking for burning time over rough power, what i should pick?

Still interested on f3500 but really prices here are way too high, cat replacements are double than in the U. S.
Both the jotul and regency noncat are simple reliable heaters. It will really come down. To your preference there