F500 Oslo rusty new from factory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coloradojose

Jun 27, 2017
colorado
I just got a new F500 Oslo which looks pretty good, but there is a pretty extensive amount of surface rust all over the inside of the top plate. I'm thinking about replacing with a cook plate anyway, so I wanted to see how difficult this is to take out, and was kind of alarmed to see rust covering the entire bottom of the plate. Is this normal? Should I be worried about it spreading to the body of the stove or am I just being silly?

Sounds like the stove or part was stored in a damp area. It won't spread and won't affect performance. In your dry climate this should not be an issue.

Hi Colorado- nothing wrong. Any non painted area of the cast iron thats exposed to moisture will get a little surface rust. When she has a fire in her, that rust will go away.... Enjoy your new Oslo.