Face cord in a truck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe living where I do things are different . . . but up here a cord is a cord is a cord . . . in other words 128 cubic feet or more often just listed out as 4 x 4 x 8 feet (probably from the days when many folks would supplement their income over the winter by cutting pulp wood into 4 foot lengths). Other than a full cord . . . it's always been half a cord or a quarter of a cord and so on. I honestly had never heard the term "face cord" or "rick" until landing here back in 2008. I suspect if someone sold a "face cord" to a local who was expecting a regular cord words would be had.

Maybe living where I do things are different . . . but up here a cord is a cord is a cord . . . in other words 128 cubic feet or more often just listed out as 4 x 4 x 8 feet (probably from the days when many folks would supplement their income over the winter by cutting pulp wood into 4 foot lengths). Other than a full cord . . . it's always been half a cord or a quarter of a cord and so on. I honestly had never heard the term "face cord" or "rick" until landing here back in 2008. I suspect if someone sold a "face cord" to a local who was expecting a regular cord words would be had.
I'm with ya.
A cord is a cord is a cord. 128cuft. It's all I've ever heard at 59 years old.

I had a part time lake neighbor who once told me he burned 8 cord in that past winter and I was shocked by the amount until I asked him if he meant face cords. He said yeah face cords but he always called face cords- cords. he had a big oak woodlot in Nakoosa Wisconsin and if anyone bought wood from him there could have been some confusion lol.

ford reg cab box 8ft, super cab short box 6.5ft, 4 door cab box 5.5ft, but each of these cabs sizes can be had with longer beds. the wheelbase gets longer . the crew cab ( 4 door )+ the 8ft box takes a Walmart super center size parking lot to turnaround in, slightly less if the front end is the coil spring version vs the leaf spring. might be the conversion year of leaf to coil f250/ f350.

ford reg cab box 8ft, super cab short box 6.5ft, 4 door cab box 5.5ft, but each of these cabs sizes can be had with longer beds. the wheelbase gets longer . the crew cab ( 4 door )+ the 8ft box takes a Walmart super center size parking lot to turnaround in, slightly less if the front end is the coil spring version vs the leaf spring. might be the conversion year of leaf to coil f250/ f350.
I knew someone who had a F-350 diesel crew cab long box and yes it was a very long truck indeed.

So I went out with a tape measure I have a ribbed bed liner. 6’81/2 “. Without the liner it would be 7 feet

Reactions: Highbeam
So I went out with a tape measure I have a ribbed bed liner. 6’81/2 “. Without the liner it would be 7 feet

Some just get lazy and round down to 6.5’. With the tailgate down every bit of an 8’ sheet of Sheetrock is supported.