Face cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken45 said:
...????? As far as I know, a "rick" is even more meaningless.

Believe me, Ken...you're not the first one to suggest this. You're now at the end of a long line, at the head of which stands my wife. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Ken45 said:
...????? As far as I know, a "rick" is even more meaningless.

Believe me, Ken...you're not the first one to suggest this. You're now at the end of a long line, at the head of which stands my wife. :lol: Rick

ROFL

Carl said:
When you buy a car do you get the specifics or just buy a car? :question: :)

Usually I insist on getting a whole car. :cheese:

I think "face cord" is a better form of measurement because I have never seen anyone (not even a processor) cut every piece of wood in a cord at EXACTLY 12" , 16" , or 24". I sell my wood by the load which is actually not legal but my regulars know what they are consistently getting year after year and I have no problems. The occaisonal newbie that calls and gets anal with me about an exact cord count can keep lookin for wood elsewhere. I don't have time to stack every load because I deal in volume. My regulars know this as well as their friends that they refer.

Ah summer on the forum. When men compare their barbecues, cords and wood. Happy days. It supposed to get into the 80's today and I'm starting on the new woodshed to handle 4 cords or 12 face cords or lord knows how many ricks.

BeGreen said:
...or lord knows how many ricks.

All you need is one. Rick

BeGreen said:
It supposed to get into the 80's today and I'm starting on the new woodshed to handle 4 cords or 12 face cords or lord knows how many ricks.

Hopefully there is only one Rick. :wow:

BrotherBart said:
Carl said:
When you buy a car do you get the specifics or just buy a car? :question: :)

ROTF......Well BrotherBart, you are much better off than some. :)

Lees, understood, no one expects the wood service to first stack the wood to measure a cord.

My last load come from a source that took some care in the news paper advertisement to say 4'x4x8' is a cord and they sell a cord for $175, delivered, this was year before last. He came with the wood in a large dump turck, which could easily hold 128 cubic feet and I suspect he was in fact delivering that, i.e., his cord is 128 cubic feet of random pieces of wood. When stacked it was of course less, maybe 70 to 80 % of a cord volume. The real question is: are you competitive in the BUTs you deliver per $ and is the wood seasoned, most advertise theirs is.

BrotherBart said:

I guess if you were buying horses, you would avoid a Quarter Horse ;-)

Ken

Ken45 said:
I guess if you were buying horses, you would avoid a Quarter Horse ;-)

Dunno...depends on whether I was lookin' to ride it or eat it...and how much room's available in my freezer. :bug: Rick

ok I measure mine by loads not cords, ricks, face cords, pounds, hours,or the amount of sweat I have invested in it.
well ok maybe I do but only when it comes in side the house. I have a wood rack in the house that holds +- a face cord and lasts a week when burning hard.

It's funny...here in Michigan I don't think i've ever seen a cord for sale...it's always a face cord. I don't know why that is. When driving around in the boondoggles I'll see 4x8' stacks for sale but never see a full cord stacked for sale.

I'm wondering whether or not some of the regional differences have to do with the species of wood commonly available in the area. Where I live, there are essentially no hardwoods, so all my firewood is softwood. That makes my splitting easier, no doubt...but it also results in me going through 7 cords of wood burning in two stoves during a season. I don't even think in terms of face cords...I buy cords. One of my suppliers brings me a generous 1 1/2 cords of CSD in a load on a modified truck with expanded metal sides on the bed. His kid has a truck that'll deliver 2 cords. Another supplier brings 3 cords at a time in a big dump trailer. Face cords aren't even talked about out here...the local language is cords (128 cubic feet). Rick

fossil said:
I'm wondering whether or not some of the regional differences have to do with the species of wood commonly available in the area. Where I live, there are essentially no hardwoods, so all my firewood is softwood. That makes my splitting easier, no doubt...but it also results in me going through 7 cords of wood burning in two stoves during a season. I don't even think in terms of face cords...I buy cords. One of my suppliers brings me a generous 1 1/2 cords of CSD in a load on a modified truck with expanded metal sides on the bed. His kid has a truck that'll deliver 2 cords. Another supplier brings 3 cords at a time in a big dump trailer. Face cords aren't even talked about out here...the local language is cords (128 cubic feet). Rick

Gotta be regional...but some stick suppliers will tell you [x] cords which = [y] face cords. Hell, we have a bunch of suppliers around...one guy stacks it ALL by March(ish) and to me it looks like something that should be in the Guiness book. Anyhow, he sells it by the face cord.

I gotta get a pic posted of this guys wood....it's like wood as far as you can see...STACKED.*

* Note: He does have a LOT of labor helping him. That said....it still blows me away.

fossil said:

It is regional. Here all you see advertised is face cord. Just across the state line in PA all you see advertised is full cord. I watch the caler ID when a customer calls to know what terminology to use to make the sale depending on what state he is in. People in NY have NEVER even heard of a full cord.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
It is regional. Here all you see advertised is face cord. Just across the state line in PA all you see advertised is full cord. I watch the caler ID when a customer calls to know what terminology to use to make the sale depending on what state he is in. People in NY have NEVER even heard of a full cord.

I certainly agree that it's regional, which is why here on the board we need to talk in a universal term instead of local dialects ;-) And the ONLY universally common term is a full cord.

Around here, wood is often advertised by the "load", another widely used but variable term.

Ken

Just visited a good wood supplier i've used in the past when in a pinch....anyhow...$55 or $60 per face cord (he said he hasn't decided yet). I told him I want 7 face cord (2-1/3 cord) delivered and it comes out to $490. He's got GOBS of ash and oak and some maple and cherry (I like that he segregates his wood)....I want the ash. I'm no fan of buying wood but I gotta this year

You are probably wise to choose the ash as it has very little moisture. To be sure, stack it loose so that air can circulate best and if possible, stack it in the sun.

Also, be sure you aren't crossing county lines as there may be a quarantine in effect. Best to check first.

Most will say take the oak as it packs a little more heat, but it takes too long to season to use this year. Also, though ash may not pack as many btu's as oak, it is pretty close. We use it all the time for our cold weather wood heat. Love it.

Hum, you said $55 - $60 per face cord, seems you paid $70 per. I guess the price quoted was "cash and carry". That works out to be $210.30 per cord, I'd pay that for seasoned Ash if a true full cord, 128 cubicfeet when stacked neatly.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1214776221"]You are probably wise to choose the ash as it has very little moisture. To be sure, stack it loose so that air can circulate best and if possible, stack it in the sun. quote]

It's good to go right now. He cut it and split it last winter. It's all gray and weathered. I'd take the oak but it's smaller splits. The ash is nice big splits and other than the coal bed, I really don't notice much difference between oak and ash. Both burn long and hot in my setup.

[quote author="Jerry_NJ" date="1214776533"]Hum, you said $55 - $60 per face cord, seems you paid $70 per.quote]

Heh, my bad. The extra ten per face is for delivery....and i'm not sure that'll cover his costs in a diesel dumptruck but that's what he wants. It's surely cheaper for me to have him deliver it then for me to make seven trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.