Favorite Wood to Burn Down Coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Pine does ok for me as well but in my experience willow is tops. It seems that there is nothing left behind when it is done. Definitely no coals and very little ash. What other woods do you find are especially good for this task?

Pine, cedar, fir, anything split smaller than 2" and (very) dry. In that order, for me so far.

I use bark. I save all the stuff that falls off as I'm bringing in seasoned wood. Its bone dry, gives a good boost of heat, and leaves no coals behind.

Reactions: NickW
I use bark. I save all the stuff that falls off as I'm bringing in seasoned wood. Its bone dry, gives a good boost of heat, and leaves no coals behind.
Interesting, i normally pile them up outside and burn them up

Interesting, i normally pile them up outside and burn them up
Nothing better than bark for burning down coals, give it a try! Kills three birds with one stone. Helps get rid of the coals, gives extra heat, and cleans up your mess.

Nothing better than bark for burning down coals, give it a try! Kills three birds with one stone. Helps get rid of the coals, gives extra heat, and cleans up your mess.
will give it a shot

Reactions: Itslay90
I break up bark and use them to fill depressing in the chicken run. Next summer chickens will love scratching and eating all the bugs out of the decomposing bark.

I pick up an armful of dried misc hardwood twigs each time I walk the dog in the forest and use those for burning down coals. A huge boost in BTU in short term + burns down the coal in about an hour.

I keep all my bark in a tote and use that after I rake the coals forward.

Bark is my main kindling. I fill up 55 gallon drums with lids with bark when its good and dry.