Felling Experts, How Would You Handle This?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitePine

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2010
Windstorm downed cedar hung up on two other good sized trees and a few small ones. What's the safest way to take it down?

Sorry about the quality of the cellphone pics.

Attachments

• moto_0123.jpg
    moto_0123.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 580
  • moto_0124.jpg
    moto_0124.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 573
  • moto_0125.jpg
    moto_0125.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 576
  • moto_0126.jpg
    moto_0126.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 551
  • moto_0127.jpg
    moto_0127.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 561
  • moto_0128.jpg
    moto_0128.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 586
Cut off the stump a few inches past the rootball,but do an undercut first,then uppercut about 1/2" over from it so bar wont pinch & it will drop free. Make next cut a few inches below first branch,using same procedure.Mill the log with Alaskan mill or bandsaw into thick planks or square posts.Cut up remainder of tree & other scrub for fuel.

Hard to tell from that picture how stable that root is, but with some windfalls like that you have to be prepared for root-ball to flop over.
Somebody posted a story a while back about some guy cutting a windfall tree and his young son was playing under the root area and got crushed when his dad cut through the trunk of the tree and the root released and flopped over.

Very carefully! Might want to try giving a push with loader and or with a line tied to trunk the higher the better to see if it settles in. I cut one much like this and when it let go I found myself six foot away on my back , tossed the saw away but things went soo fast no time to react. Moved each arm then each leg found things working and got up O.K. this time lucky. There is a lot of stored energy
there just be careful I cant tell cus not there but I'm sure you can study it just be careful

Can you cut the root ball off, then hook the trunk to the truck and pull the tree out until it hits the ground...? Just make sure you've got plenty of chain length so your truck doesn't become the next thing holding the tree up.

moosetrek said:
Can you cut the root ball off, then hook the trunk to the truck and pull the tree out until it hits the ground...? Just make sure you've got plenty of chain length so your truck doesn't become the next thing holding the tree up.

No, I can't get a truck or any other equipment near that root ball, except 90 degrees to the lay of the trunk. Even then I've got about zero pulling distance.

You said no room to pull with the truck, and can't get a loader near it - how about a winch? You might be able to use a snatch block to compensate for the 90 degree angle.

i would cut it at the root ball first using wedges!

Yup. I'd cut the root off first but I wouldn't think any wedges would be needed (Whoops. Sorry Jay, but I know you like the wedges.). Be sure to undercut it first. The rest should be a piece of cake.

Yeah like they said, just undercut it first. Last tree I pinched my saw in, I had to leave it there and drive to town to grab a friend's saw.

NATE379 said:
Yeah like they said, just undercut it first. Last tree I pinched my saw in, I had to leave it there and drive to town to grab a friend's saw.

Always carry two bars. Unbolt the power head and slap the extra B & C on and cut the first one loose.

Cutting that root ball away, I would use wedges. If the ball stand up, you won't need them, but if stays where it lays, the trunk portion of that tree is gonna stay real close (and probably move towards) the roots. Without the wedges, you will be stuck (if the ball stays down).

Status
Not open for further replies.