Filling the basement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Microduck17

Burning Hunk
Dec 21, 2017
New Concord Ohio
We're planning on putting in one or loads like this a day until our 3 cord capacity is full. Then going to fill the outside basement stairwell and tarp it. Hopefully this will last till march with the increased efficiency of the wood furnace finally being connected to the ducts this season.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
022e8efd97ef679652a1e83b26acd6f3.jpg
efb4607e677f71b130034c475377d576.jpg

Last edited:
Lotta bugs will be joining you. I would only keep inside what you need for few days at most. Put it on Pallets and Cover outside.

Lotta bugs will be joining you. I would only keep inside what you need for few days at most. Put it on Pallets and Cover outside.

Must depend on how dry the wood is. My basement has been loaded up for weeks with no noticeable increase in critters. Very few splits still had any bark also.

Reactions: Microduck17
This stuff is bone dry been css and covered for almost 3 years. Very few bugs we checked it over really well and rejected anything that looked buggy or sub standard in any way. The reject pile will feed the garage stove

Reactions: StudlyHogly
We're planning on putting in one or loads like this a day until our 3 cord capacity is full. Then going to fill the outside basement stairwell and tarp it. Hopefully this will last till march with the increased efficiency of the wood furnace finally being connected to the ducts this season.

022e8efd97ef679652a1e83b26acd6f3.jpg
efb4607e677f71b130034c475377d576.jpg
Wish I had room to store a decent amount of wood in my basement. I have a trailer that holds about 2/3 cord that I park next to the house. Once a week i toss some through a window into a large box by the furnace.

Been putting my entire winters wood in my basement every fall for 23 years now. Used to be 8 cords, now around 4. No bug issues.

Another vote for firewood in the basement! I've put about 4 cords in every fall for four years and don't have any problems. Put in good dry, solid wood and you will be fine! My parents did the same for 30 years, they burned about 8 cords.

Once I have a season's worth in the basement I never have to go outside to get more. Always dry and right next to the furnace. Doesn't get much better than that!

My brother in law puts 7 cords of wood in his basement every year, never had a bug issue. When I had room I used to put half a cord and never had a bug issue.

Bugs are not a given, but definitely something to look for. Anything I store inside, each log has been given a close look. I lean toward splits with no bark for inside, though certain woods with bark tend to be great for no bugs, like black cherry and red oak (if it never rested on the ground).

I put 6 cords in my basement every year, never had an issue with bugs cept maybe the occasional spider. Well worth it not having to go outside to haul wood in when its cold or snowy.

Reactions: moresnow
Put as much as you can in
Bugs: Been putting 5 to 10 cord in my basement for 40
years never a bug problem as long as the wood is dry (less than 20% moisture)

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Bugs usually like/need the moisture of outside . Even basements can be too dry and they dry up and die. With the moisture here and how long it can take some wood to season I'd be more concerned with mold than bugs.