Final Load of the Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, and I thought I was doing good today going out and cutting down the overgrown hemlock or whatever it was just outside the garage... Got about a wheelbarrow and a half of rounds, finished off my last "overflow" stack - gives me about 7.5 cords in the sheds and another 2-3 in the overflow piles, minus the little bit that I've burned so far (about 0.3 cords) Unless I get ambitious and decide to drop some of the swamp maples that need it, I'm not going to take anything else down. If / when Mary-Anne gets another job, I'll probably call my tree guy and see about having him bring in another load of log length, but if it doesn't happen before the snow falls, that may not happen till spring since I'm not going to try to plow out the place he drops the logs at.

Gooserider

BrotherBart said:
What most people don't realize is that he used to toast 15 cords a year and the new boiler isn't even going to come close to that. Not seeing the stacks shrink is going to drive him nuts.

I was thinking the same thing. He's gonna get fat and lazy , now I know why he is first in the wood chopping game, Craig sees the future

Eric, what do you figure the new boiler will go through a season?

I'm just about a year ahead and by Winters end I will be two years ahead thanks to the DAMN GYPSY MOTHS!
I guess one good that comes from them is my choices in selective cutting are taken care of. I have two GIANT pines that come down this year too, thats alot of teh CREOSOTEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Factor everything in (single pane glass greenhouse, double-hung windows w/aluminum storms, wife likes a warm house, etc.) and I think that's about 4 years worth of wood. Give or take.

I kind of like having four years worth of free heat and hot water stacked in the back yard, particularly in this day and age. Nobody ever says to you: "Hey, you're saving too much money in your bank account," do they? Other than its bulk and propensity to "depreciate" if not handled properly, I see it as a good investment.

I probably lose a little to rot every year because it's stacked on the ground, but I do try to keep the oldest wood covered and burn it first.

Still snowing steadily here.

BrotherBart said:
He who dies with the most dry firewood wins!

Actually, BB... He who lives next to the guy with the most dry firewood wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.