Finally got into the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Finally managed to get into the woods this past weekend. i know, way behind in my cutting this year, but had too much snow to get into the woods.

Managed to fell one large White Birch and three ~12" maples that were in a cluster. Plan on dropping another three maples, two more birch, and then perhaps an oak or two (oak for next year). Then, it is start up the splitter and get to it time. Luckily I still have one to one 1/2 cord from this past year to get me going.

I have never been this late to cut. Hopefully I have not screwed myself. May end up ordering a cord or two just to be certain.

Managed to fell one large White Birch and three ~12†maples that were in a cluster. Plan on dropping another three maples, two more birch, and then perhaps an oak or two (oak for next year). Then, it is start up the splitter and get to it time.
Got to have pictures or it didn't happen. ;-P

tfdchief said:
Managed to fell one large White Birch and three ~12†maples that were in a cluster. Plan on dropping another three maples, two more birch, and then perhaps an oak or two (oak for next year). Then, it is start up the splitter and get to it time.

Well, unfortunately it didn't happen then- was too focused on the job at hand to take pictures this time. The only pictures I could take would be of all the rounds that I have piled up, but those were covered by 2" of snow today.....more snow coming later in the week, but should not impede the cutting for this coming weekend.

Quote: VC Vigilant (1978)- NOW RETIRED

Looks like your stove has retired on ya. Dont think its gonna need that much wood. ;-P

Good luck on the late start. Smaller splits will be in order I am sure to get the seasoning process started.
Whats the new stove?
Cheers

Remkel said:
Finally managed to get into the woods this past weekend. i know, way behind in my cutting this year, but had too much snow to get into the woods.

Managed to fell one large White Birch and three ~12" maples that were in a cluster. Plan on dropping another three maples, two more birch, and then perhaps an oak or two (oak for next year). Then, it is start up the splitter and get to it time. Luckily I still have one to one 1/2 cord from this past year to get me going.

I have never been this late to cut. Hopefully I have not screwed myself. May end up ordering a cord or two just to be certain.

Remkel, I'm glad that you got back in the woods to do some cutting. We still are another two weeks from getting back in the area I want to work but I busted my ass last feb. thru this feb. so it can wait. Looking for another 6 cord by Nov. of 2011.

Zap

Remkel said:
tfdchief said:

Well, unfortunately it didn't happen then- was too focused on the job at hand to take pictures this time. The only pictures I could take would be of all the rounds that I have piled up, but those were covered by 2" of snow today.....more snow coming later in the week, but should not impede the cutting for this coming weekend.
OK, we will let you off the hook this time, :) but we really like pictures.

north of 60 said:
Quote: VC Vigilant (1978)- NOW RETIRED

Looks like your stove has retired on ya. Dont think its gonna need that much wood. ;-P

Good luck on the late start. Smaller splits will be in order I am sure to get the seasoning process started.
Whats the new stove?
Cheers

As of today, the new stoves looks to be a Jotul F600- I am still entertaining a PE Summit, but I think with my setup I need more of a radiating stove.
First, there is the work of getting the wood together, then have to remove the clay pipe from the chimney and install a new insulated SS liner, then connect the stove. A lot of work to be done.

The thought of buying some wood is to get ahead, then continue to build on the supply on hand for coming years.

tfdchief said:
Remkel said:
tfdchief said:

OK, we will let you off the hook this time, :) but we really like pictures.

I appreciate the leniency of the court. I shall try to do better going forward.

Remkel, I can appreciate the situation you have. Another idea might be what I've been entertaining the thought of. A fellow has some nice oak split and stacked with a for sale sign on. I figure on asking about a trade for some really nice ash. I'll even give him more than I receive if he goes for the idea.

Thanks, back Woods.

My wife's cousin is in the wood business and has offered us quite a discount on wood. I think I will only need to buy a couple of cord to get ahead as I have over a cord left from this year after I shut down the Vigilant. Hate the thought of paying for wood, but it is cheaper than the $4 a gallon I would pay for oil. Been listening to that darn oil monster for a month now and I still cringe every time it kicks on.

I hear you Remkel. It has been a long, long time since we've purchased oil or gas for heat and I do not miss it at all. In fact, the last time we bought oil for heating purposes was during the spring of 1979. That's not long enough....

Spring of 79.... yeah, I remember that year- Sister Helen was our pricipal, Sister Jeannine taught French :)

Remkel said:
Spring of 79.... yeah, I remember that year- Sister Helen was our pricipal, Sister Jeannine taught French :)

Any barbiturates in the school at that time? Was Sergeant Stedenko present?

By the way, Those were my pop bottles man.

Status
Not open for further replies.