Finally got my tank inside. Ready to start plumbing. Do I REALLY need a 3 way mixing valve ??? (

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
After a fair amount of work and a little luck I was able to get my 1500 gallon pressurized tank inside my barn next to my tarm. I am ready to start plumbing everything up and I am currently figuring out what I need for fittings before I make a trip to the store. My questions is, do I really need to use a 3 way mixing to protect from cold water return? I have a 30 year old conventional wood boiler in my basement with no mixing valvle and it is still in good cond. What are the major advantanges of using one, and is there any good cheaper alternitives than the expensive termovar type valves ?

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

• Barnes Family Picture 001.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 001.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 406
  • Barnes Family Picture 002.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 002.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 396
  • Barnes Family Picture 003.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 003.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Barnes Family Picture 005.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 005.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 408
  • Barnes Family Picture 006.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 006.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Barnes Family Picture 007.jpg
    Barnes Family Picture 007.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 382
The 30 year old boiler in my basement is a steel memco. The boiler I will be using in my barn is an older tarm gasifier. I plan on running the tarm full out to charge the tank. I will be using a mechanical power shut off timer on the power to the tarm and the circulator on it that will kill the power after 4 or 5 hours once all the wood is burned up. I will use another circ. on the tank to feed the radiators in the house. The return from the house will go directly to the bottom of the tank, and there will be a return from the tank to the boiler. If I set the tank up right and fire the boiler at the correct times I shouldn't have water colder that around 110 to 120 degrees returning to the boiler I hope.

Brian

Oh,yeah. I have another questions on flow checks. Are there any certin types that should be used for a heating system ? and also were should they be installed in respect to the circs ? infront... behind.... doesn't matter...?

thanks again, Brian

Already, planned for that, I got two 80 gallon expansion tanks from an old elementary school boiler system.

Since you are using an older tarm and not necessarily worried about warrenty issues, you may get away with not using the termovar. They were $150 when I got mine a few years back. Not sure if there are others available or not. Better to use one since it may shorten the life of the boiler.

My system is piped in 1 1/4" piping and the main line check valve is just after the expansion tank on the heat out of the tarm. Anywhere in the line would probably work, but most like to be horizontal. Some pumps come with them integrated as well, might be less expensive that way and one less thing to work in.

See my http://woodnotoil.googlepages.com/systemlayout page for more details on my system. Note mine is in series with planned unpresserized storage, you may have a different setup in mind, but mine may be useful to see the position of some of the components. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.