Finally, I'm done with this years wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood fever - I caught it two years ago and am not looking for a cure. Got a couple of small pickup loads of this and that over the summer - maybe 1/3 cord oak, some cherry, a bit of fir, which is what w have most of in the NW. Just finishing up helping clean up some Poplar that was cut 7 months ago -I've taken 5 truck loads of limbs to the recycle and two loads of poplar home. I know. it's not all that good - but it's free and remember, I have...
Just scored a craigs list - only 6 miles from home - downed fir for $50 a cord I cut and haul. Easy to get to and it's half the price he was asking just a month ago. I figure I have between 10-11 mixed cords cut and stacked and will get between 5-10 cords of fir. I have a dead maple and walnut to add to the mix also. I'm almost beginning to anticipate firing up the woodstove for my second season of burning. :coolsmile:

well I WAS done with several years worth of wood, but since we had several lightining strikes with little to no rain all of my wood burned from a surprisingly accurate strike.
so I will be burning green wood this year as it is too damn hot to go cut it now. I do have 1/2 a cord of good seasoned stuff and that is all i got cut and split that didn't burn.
figure about 20 cords went up in the fire the worst part of it was I was at work so I didn't even get to burn me a hotdog over the coals.

crazy_dan said:
well I WAS done with several years worth of wood, but since we had several lightining strikes with little to no rain all of my wood burned from a surprisingly accurate strike.
so I will be burning green wood this year as it is too damn hot to go cut it now. I do have 1/2 a cord of good seasoned stuff and that is all i got cut and split that didn't burn.
figure about 20 cords went up in the fire the worst part of it was I was at work so I didn't even get to burn me a hotdog over the coals.

WOW.....talk about bad luck! I can't even imagine the odds on that happening.

Definately sorry to hear of this though.

iceman said:
Adirondackwoodburner said:
yup, I finished my last Sunday. 4 cord for this yearh, although I had 1.5 leftover from last years supply. My moisture meter is reading 19% on last years stuff and 37% on this years. Hope that 37% gets down to at least 25% by October!

where can i find a moisture reader for a reasonable price?

omega engineering

crazy_dan said:
20 cords?!?! Sorry to hear this, that's a lot of labor up in smoke. :(

Call the ins co. You have insurance right? They will pay to replace all the wood. It does not matter if you paid for it or hauled and split it yourself, you have the right to be indemnified or made whole. Of course that will not help this year with dry wood but you will have a pile of wood non the less.

Dang! And 20 cords, yet. Real sorry to hear about that. Looking into an insurance claim does sound like it might make sense. Depends on whether or not you have had any small claims on that policy in recent years. If still a clean slate, I say go for it. The value of 20 cords probably well exceeds your deductible.

What a dang freak of nature. Separate piles, next time?

not gonna call the insurance company and yes I do have insurance. The biggest problem with an insurance claim is proof of the amount of the loss. I will just cut and burn it green this year and get next years while im at it. burnt green wood before and it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do since there is no other source of heat in my house. not so bad when you need to keep the fire going strong but the shoulder seasons suck.

crazy_dan Wow you're lucky your house was spared...I have a 20 cord pile that's 35ft from the house. Now I have something else to worry about. Anyway sorry to hear about your bad luck and here's hoping you can score some seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.