Finally...(the pics promised) and an ID needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good ending to the story.
Another MTD recall though, makes a guy wonder. Maybe; their Quality Control could use some QC.
Assembly issues & recalls.
I almost bought an MTD, Sears craftsman, but they were not allowed to sell them due to recall issues,
when I was in the hunt, , 2 years ago now.
Glad I went with Speeco, so far it's working well.

Don't forget the pictures ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
But Jags, I do not see anything there I'd have to use polls on! Those rounds are very easy work. So I would instead be already splitting while you are lifting the log!

How do you sit and split? I don't have time split and roll another one split, who rolls them logs to you so you can split?

I do not understand the part about, "time to split and roll another." Say what?

One hand on log, one hand on control lever. Naturally some take 2 hands to turn the log as it is being split but that is the really easy part. When finished splitting a log, then my left had does the rolling. I simply reach out and grab the next log. If I can't reach any more, then the splitter gets moved. If they are really big, then I'll use 2 hands to get them onto the splitter but usually need only 1 hand. It is actually extremely simple to do.

[quote author="BucksCounty, nice score on some big rounds. Looks like some nice btu's from that load.

Zap

Danno77 said:
That's such a nice tree, makes you pause for a second and wonder if it's a sin to burn it up in a stove. Then it gets cold and you forget about what the tree looked like.

Very nice score!

I don't know. It's already down . seems humane to put it out of it's misery and not let it rot on the ground and get some use out of what's left. Probably a century of work to get to that size.

Neighbors helping neighbors. There used to be a lot more of this when there were small farms amongst the population just outside the city limits.

Backwoods Savage said:
I do not understand the part about, "time to split and roll another." Say what?

One hand on log, one hand on control lever. Naturally some take 2 hands to turn the log as it is being split but that is the really easy part. When finished splitting a log, then my left had does the rolling. I simply reach out and grab the next log. If I can't reach any more, then the splitter gets moved. If they are really big, then I'll use 2 hands to get them onto the splitter but usually need only 1 hand. It is actually extremely simple to do.

Your just real strong. I split vertical most of the time. Just no way I can roll them rounds over tilt up and split just not time to sit.

[quote author="BucksCounty" date="1300062686"]Here are the pics. As an idea of size, two rounds in the middle on ground are 30". My buddy took same amount I have here. Actually, he took several more of the larger rounds. We counted 32 of the large rounds before we go to the first brances. Almost all is red oak. Some sassafrass mixed in too.

There is a pile of box elder on the right of the first pic I took from my brother last weekend.

Also pumped that my buddy (met from hearth) said because I hooked him up with the wood, he will let me borrow his splitter when I need it. Anyways, it was a good weekend.

BC, nice work and score on the wood. How far ahead are you shooting for in your wood.

Zap

I have no idea how far ahead I'd like to be. I am not sure now that I will be running 2 stoves. The Shelburne should not need to work nearly as hard with the Jotul. My wife says I am crazy, but she is catching on. She called me the other day, excitedly saying how there was a big tree down the street being cut down and I should stop and get some of the wood. She says she think it would be cool to have like 30 pallets back there!!

The oak will not be ready next year. I just would like to get 1 year ahead...small steps. We'll see. The good thing....still haven't paid for any yet....well, there was the $60 labor fee for the splitter fiasco from my buddy. I still think I made out.

BucksCounty, nice score! :coolsmile:
The tree guy said that the stuff in the last pic, on the landscape timbers, is Hickory?
I'm curious what the tree IDers here think about that wood. Certainly not Shagbark. Pignut possibly? Some other type? I know that there are quite a few types of Hickory...

I'm also wondering about the dark heartwood in those rounds. I have some Pin Oak that looks like that (light-colored sapwood, darker heartwood.) Does all Pin look like this, or could it be due to the fact that the tree was dying? The Pin in the following pic had a big open area at the base where the heartwood was visible, and it snapped off at the base in recent high winds.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/001-6.jpg

Woody Stover said:
BucksCounty, nice score! :coolsmile:
The tree guy said that the stuff in the last pic, on the landscape timbers, is Hickory?
I'm curious what the tree IDers here think about that wood. Certainly not Shagbark. Pignut possibly? Some other type? I know that there are quite a few types of Hickory...

I'm also wondering about the dark heartwood in those rounds. I have some Pin Oak that looks like that (light-colored sapwood, darker heartwood.) Does all Pin look like this, or could it be due to the fact that the tree was dying? The Pin in the following pic had a big open area at the base where the heartwood was visible, and it snapped off at the base in recent high winds.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/001-6.jpg

Whatever it is it looks like good firewood to me!!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.