Finally used the dray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice pictures.
Gave me a good idea for making something similar to skid full length logs with.
Should work even on bare ground.
I can just roll the big end of the log on, bind it down & not have the end of the log digging in.
May use a solid tongue so down hills don't run me over.
Good, simple tool to have. May use your design & modify it for my use. (If no patents pending :) )

Now if I just had a new 700 to pull it with. (mules have definitely been replaced with a big upgrade)
Looks good to see it at work (well having fun but we won't tell anyone) :)
Hope you get to use the 4 wheel drive feature.
Hand warmer switch on??

Dave, this is the same type of dray we used to use in logging, just a smaller version. I can haul a 10' log on this with no problem and quite possibly a 12' lot. For sure if I lengthened the chain I could put a 12' log on by moving it forward a bit. We used to build them by taking a slab off the top and bottom of a log and then drilling the holes. Seems to me we used 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 for the cross members. Then we fastened chains on the two sides so we could use a binder to hold the load. As Lee stated, you can use some pipe to put the chains in on the front so as not to get run over on downhills or you can make a tongue and use a ball hitch.

For sure you don't want one end of the log dragging as that would put dirt in the bark and would also take more power to pull the thing.

The atv has no problem pulling this even on bare ground. I may have to use the 4wd though as we finally got a little snow and there is more in the forecast. Hand warmer definitely is on and I won't shut it off until Spring! It came in very handy today plowing the snow. I do several other places plus opening paths in the woods for my wife's walking path.

Status
Not open for further replies.