Fire Block Sealant FB 136

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
After purchasing Fire Block Sealant and reading this warning in the Hearth Wiki, I'm confused:

Adhesives and Cements for Installing and Servicing Hearth Products

Many of the visitors to Hearth.com have asked about which products to use when considering the medium and high
temperatures that stoves and fireplaces are exposed to. Following are some general guidelines as to product types which fit
specific needs.

Note: Products which are sold as “Fire Block†caulk and foam are NOT to be used in stove and fireplace installation or
service.

I'd like to use it as a sealant for my block off plate, bonding it to the fireplace. The literature states that it is a one component non-combustible draft, smoke and fireblocking sealant, designed to resist high temperatures and smoke passage in non-rated construction. It's fireblocking properties are rated at 750 Degree C, 1380 F. Isn't this better than high temperature silicone? Bonds to concrete, brick, metals, wood, plastic and cable jacketing. What say you?

Attachments

• FB Sealant.jpg
    FB Sealant.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 548
This stuff I am not sure. I read the pdf on 3m site and it reads like something to block smoke/draft incase of a fire in certain areas. It also talks of sealing pipe, but it does not talk of solid fuel pipe. I would take it back and get the rutland cement. It is like 3-5 bux a tube for a caulking gun.. I don't know!

Play: I have high temperature furnace cement for sealing the liner and block off plate. Is rutland cement different?

Don't know...Only used rutland. For sealing the block off plate I would use the rutland cement. Are you going to seal it and screw(tap-con) it in? I used the rutland around the flue collar on stove to make air tight. Been there for a year and it is like a rock!

I don't have block off installed yet. I do have a ton of rock wool stuffed up into the smoke chamber and old damper area.

I have a block-off plate shaped, cut and reeady to go but I am a procrastinator by nature.

I would take the 3m stuff back because it is questionable, unless someone else chimes on, and get the rutland stuff. They sell at ace and big box stores like lowes and such.

Regular silicone is fine for sealing the outer edges of the block-off plate to the chimney. Furnace cement is better where it contacts the liner.

BG, so you're saying the Fire Block is okay to seal the outer edges of the block off plate?

Sorry Stax, I know nothing about this product. It sounds like it might work, but I would have to read up on it first.

I'm sorry to always ask such stupid questions, but, first what is a block off plate and second would the cement that we're talking about here help with sealing my "attic radiation shield" and "storm collar shield" that go through my cathedral ceiling and into my attic area? I'm trying to seal that penetration there because it is the only source of attic air (cold or hot) getting into the inside of our home. I also asked about this in the recent thread on rock wool but didn't get a good response. I'm trying to find the safest way to seal that penetration. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.