Fire Chief FC1500 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
!!!

Eight medium splits doesn't tell us much, but to me it sounds like it's lacking control....? 4.5 hours and it burned through, what seems like, a fair amount of wood.

8 splits half way filled the box. This video is just to illustrate the size of the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRHAWK9
I don’t know about this furnace but if the secondary air inlet is open all the time that’s a problem
Whys that? All of them I've ever seen are that way...most stoves too. And most are not adjustable...wide open only.

I don’t know about this furnace but if the secondary air inlet is open all the time that’s a problem

The secondary air flap opening increases as the stove gets hotter.

cameraRollTempImage.jpg

This much wood, just brought the temperature of the first floor from 71 to 76 in about 20mins (our house is about 2,200 sqft) with the outside temp ~27.

Going to need to buy more shorts and tee shirts for the winter.

IMG_0459.jpg

This much wood, just brought the temperature of the first floor from 71 to 76 in about 20mins (our house is about 2,200 sqft) with the outside temp ~27.

Going to need to buy more shorts and tee shirts for the winter.
A wood burners mantra: If the wife has too many clothes on, throw another log on the fire! ::-)

That's nuts. Hopefully you will be able to dial that thing back a bit, otherwise you may be making numerous small fires throughout the day. ;lol Something just seems odd, unless that thing is WAY oversized for your house. 2,200SF is not exactly small though.

Get your chimney draft dialed? (I think I remember you having a manometer?)
Probably gonna need to put that baro back in too...that's a lot of chimney height! Thing would probably suck up nearby cats! :eek:
My chimney is only 27' and when it gets cold out the baro is hanging wide open trying to keep things under control!

Probably gonna need to put that baro back in too...that's a lot of chimney height! Thing would probably suck up nearby cats! :eek:
My chimney is only 27' and when it gets cold out the baro is hanging wide open trying to keep things under control!

Yup, kinda what I was getting at. Along with sucking up cats it would also over-turbo the fire.

So to speak...

I understand the direction everyone is suggesting, just giving another example.

Last night I re-loaded the stove at 9:36pm, temperature outside was 24 degrees.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

This is my thermostat at 11:14pm

87 degrees
IMG_0465.jpg

Stove already passed it’s hottest point.

IMG_0466.jpg

At 11:42 pm this what the inside of the fire box looked like.

IMG_0467.jpg

And the secondary air inlet flap

IMG_0468.jpg

When I got up today ~7:33am it was 28 degrees outside and the house was 69 degrees.

Firebox was cold and done.

IMG_0472.jpg

So it appears, per everyone’s suggestion that the stack is pulling to strong of a draft and I need to added a bio damp to slowdown the burn rate.

Last edited:
Don't think a -BIO DAMPER- will help you. ;lol A barometric damper should have been installed from the get go though. Seems like you have a mini-nuclear reactor going on right now with how it's currently operating. It blows it's load immediately and leaves you wanting more. ;lol Hopefully pulling your draft down will help you gain some control of that thing. I guess you could just keep feeding it and see if you can reach 100° inside temps! ==c

Reactions: sloeffle
So it appears, per everyone’s suggestion that the stack is pulling to strong of a draft and I need to added a bio damp to slowdown the burn rate.
[/QUOTE]
If you do install the Baro. damper I believe the closer to the chimney the better.

So am I right in remembering you have a manometer? I don't really want to go in that other thread again to find out. :)

Yes... Trying to remember when and where to take the measurement.

I did order a barometric damper, should be in tomorrow. Waiting for HY-C to respond regarding adding one.

Yes... Trying to remember when and where to take the measurement.

I did order a barometric damper, should be in tomorrow. Waiting for HY-C to respond regarding adding one.

Mine is hooked up all the time. Just make sure it is between the furnace & the baro. I think the numbers to pay attention to are when it is burning.

What Controlls the draft fan, is there a high limit that’s adjustable? Is it the draft fan that’s not shutting off, or even when it’s off it’s just drafting too much or the p/s air dampers mis adjusted to allow to much natural draft?

87* in the house...whooo doggies! You keep that up your wife is gonna open up a winter escape/tropical resort! ;lol
Yeah get a draft reading and get that baro installed, I think that is gonna go a long ways toward knocking the peak off your burn and allow it to stretch out a lil longer too.
As far as the draft reading, take it near the furnace, but before the baro...and I'd just stick the baro in that 4' section of stove pipe somewheres.

Measured -0.13
Yeahaw!
That's while you are burning, right?
IIRC HY-C specs -0.08 as the limit? I'm pretty sure that's what I remember, because even that's high compared to many wood fired heaters. -0.06" is more common, heck, my old Yukon the high limit is -0.03"!
So basically you are double where is should be ideally...yeah, a baro is gonna make a little difference here!
Hopefully you ordered a Fields...those Vogelzang baros are a real POS

IIRC, he had Fields last winter for a short time until the FC1000 decided it didn't like it and blew it off/up...??

What Controlls the draft fan, is there a high limit that’s adjustable? Is it the draft fan that’s not shutting off, or even when it’s off it’s just drafting too much or the p/s air dampers mis adjusted to allow to much natural draft?

The wall thermostat controls the draft blower when the temp drops to 71 degrees. At 71 degrees the stove is down to a couple small ambers. Since it does not take much for the fire to catch, the draft blower turns off pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.