Firebox question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 30, 2019
Louisville
Hello everyone,

I have number of questions I can't find a definite answer for.
  1. I have bought a Cemi Concept II insert which, when installed vents directly into the firebox since it has nowhere to connect a stovepipe. The bare fireplace firebox has mortar deteriorating from the previous homeowner burning fires directly in it. Is it worth my time to repair the worn down mortar before I install this insert in my fireplace?
  2. I have a magnet thermometer that was left behind by the previous homeowner. If I stick it on the door of my insert once installed, will it actually be telling me anything useful? (Or is its best use on a stovepipe only?)
Thanks in advance,
Derek

Hello everyone,

1. I have bought a Cemi Concept II insert which, when installed vents directly into the firebox since it has nowhere to connect a stovepipe. The bare fireplace firebox has mortar deteriorating from the previous homeowner burning fires directly in it. Is it worth my time to repair the worn down mortar before I install this insert in my fireplace?
  2. I have a magnet thermometer that was left behind by the previous homeowner. If I stick it on the door of my insert once installed, will it actually be telling me anything useful? (Or is its best use on a stovepipe only?)
Thanks in advance,
Derek
If that insert has a rectangular vent, you need to get a conversion kit to connect that to a 6 inch insulated liner that goes up all the way to the top of your chimney. Installing it as is, a slammer install, is not safe and not up to code. Have the chimney inspected and cleaned before you do anything else.

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Derek
You need to have a properly sized liner installed the way you are running your insert is unsafe

Moved to the classics forum. There are several Cemi threads here. Search on Cemi for more details.

The flue is clay-lined and looks nearly immaculate, but the firebox is just bare brick. Does that make a difference?
No not at all. An insert now needs to be hooked to a liner. This was added to codes because it was found using inserts in the way you are posed a serious safety risk

hi there first off when you have the fire installed it will have its own liner eather flexi linner or solid flu pipe you shold get it looked at by a trades person and the magnet thermostat will work on a fire door