Firelight handle stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J.P., I bought my stove new in Oct.. In Dec. the damper started to stick from 1/2 to closed. The dealer came out with a new lever and fixed the problem. It worked fine until mid Feb. and it was worse than before. At this point it became a fire hazard as the lever couldn't be moved without tapping with a hammer. The dealer was back a week ago and this is what they did when they came back. There was a slight downward bend in the lever and when tightened with the bolt under the ashlip, it caused down pressure in the damper plate. They did a slight 'custom" bend in the lever and it's been good for a week. I hope this is the last time I have to bother them. This is something I could've done myself, but I didn't want them to come back and say the warranty is void beacause I worked on it myself.

Jim

The levers seem to be working inn most cases it is just a diffrent bend in the arm they are not 100% sure what causes it to do it so this seems to fix most i am unaware of any plate mods that have been done.

Are they also recommending replacing the slider?

No but it cant hurt if you wanted to.

jbrown56 said:
J.P., I bought my stove new in Oct.. In Dec. the damper started to stick from 1/2 to closed. The dealer came out with a new lever and fixed the problem. It worked fine until mid Feb. and it was worse than before. At this point it became a fire hazard as the lever couldn't be moved without tapping with a hammer. The dealer was back a week ago and this is what they did when they came back. There was a slight downward bend in the lever and when tightened with the bolt under the ashlip, it caused down pressure in the damper plate. They did a slight 'custom" bend in the lever and it's been good for a week. I hope this is the last time I have to bother them. This is something I could've done myself, but I didn't want them to come back and say the warranty is void beacause I worked on it myself.

Jim

I'll probably get to mine next week.

However I don't know haw many more days I will burn as I am pretty much out of wood for this year.

I plan on posting the process once I get it done if it can be of any help.

I guess I could try to bend one of the levers since I now have a spare, in case I broke it.

Thanks for the tip.

J.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.