Firepit question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theeaterofshades

Apr 14, 2017
Kaukauna, WI
Hello all,

I have a 28inch round metal insert that I bought on sale. I want to build an above ground brick firepit with it at our new house. I have a couple of questions.

1. While digging to plant some trees, I found that there is pretty much clay about 1-2 inches under the surface. With that being said, do I just leave the bottom of the pit clay? Should I do a base of fire brick, or some other bottom material? I know I don't want gravel so we can scoop out ashes without the bottom medium.

2. With said insert, how do I account for venting in the pit?

3. I plan on using Belgian wedge pavers, anything I need to know?

4. Should I put sand between the inset and the block? If so, how do I work around the aforementioned ventilation?

Thanks!

-Matt

I'm sitting next to my fire pit as I write this. I just left the soil at the bottom. Doesn't seem necessary to line the bottom with anything. That being said, I laid out several extra blocks I used to build the pit on the bottom to help get some air under the fire. These blocks don't touch each other to allow for air to come up through them. I also left some space between every few blocks on the first two courses of blocks to allow for airflow for the fire. I did put sand under the first course of block, but for a backyard fire pit it may be a bit overkill. It certainly can't hurt. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk