fireplace blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2014
Yardley, PA
I am looking into some sort of fireplace blower. I don't have the budget for a stove or insert. I came across "The Original Grate Heater". Does anyone know if this works well? Or can you recommend something similar? What is the best product/company for this type of unit?

There are a NUMBER of companies who make Grate Heaters & all of them claim to be better than sliced bread.
The hearth shop I used to work for offered the Stoll Version ( http://www.stollfireplace.com/heating/grateheater )
& I don't recall too many going out the door. The MAIN problem with this unit is that in order to get ANY appreciable
heat from it, you need to keep the fireplace doors closed. Otherwise you'll lose most of the generated heat right up the chimney.
In order to close the doors, they need to have PyroCeram stove glass in them instead of tempered glass. That jumps the price WAY up.
Tempered glass won't take the heat & has a tendency to shatter when it gets overheated.
Probably not the info you wanted, but that's the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.