Fireplace help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newbie27

Nov 11, 2017
ben27
I just bought a house and don't know what this is attached to the fireplace and if it is needed or can I get rid of it???
e186dcc1d8d061c21b160df94deac40c.jpg
0cc8a6151202808308f25c062de4de6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Certainly appears to be part of the design. Perhaps allowing air to circulate around fireplace somewhere to a higher vent?

Certainly appears to be part of the design. Perhaps allowing air to circulate around fireplace somewhere to a higher vent?
No clue seems to end right there no signs of it continuing anywhere else.

In the second picture, are those holes in the bricks down low? If so those are air intakes and the warm air will flow out of the top holes above the fireplace.

In the second picture, are those holes in the bricks down low? If so those are air intakes and the warm air will flow out of the top holes above the fireplace.
Yes they are holes but my question is why the wall???

Are there similar vents down low on the other side of the fireplace?

I can see no issue removing that wall were it extends past the fireplace. But as always I'd recommend getting a certified and capable sweep in for a full cleaning and evaluation of the condition before using.

I can see no issue removing that wall were it extends past the fireplace. But as always I'd recommend getting a certified and capable sweep in for a full cleaning and evaluation of the condition before using.
Already have the sweep booked and ready for them on Wednesday

Reactions: pen and Squisher