Firewood Covers (Tarps)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbcijim

Mar 10, 2008
Schuylkill County, Pa
Found a new cover for my firewood that works great, and it was free!

My employees were at a coal breaker and brought back a couple hundred feet of old conveyor belt. It's been sitting in the same location at our shop until I finally asked them what it was and why it was there. The breaker goes through the conveyor belts all the time. They haven't been disposing of them, they just keep piling them up out back and they are free for the taking. They range from 24"-36" wide, and the only problem I have with them is they are very heavy as they are either 1/4" or 3/8" thick black rubber. So I just cut them up into lengths that I could manage. They are very heavy so no weighing them down with rocks. They are more like tire material than rubber roof material.

Obviously these just sit on the top and won't work if you believe in fully covering your piles.

This particular source is in Tamaqua, Pa right on 309 if you drive through there. Sorry I don't have a name to give anybody. I thought this might be a source that is new to this forum and it might be typical of any company that wears out conveyor belts.

My employees brought it back as they use it for running trackhoe's across macadam/paving without tearing up the black top.

sounds like a great idea. Free works.
I used to live in schuylkill co. Parents live in Orwigsburg. Went to High School in Pottsville.

One time we lived near a pulp mill and many folks got something like this. Heavy stuff and it lasted for many years. The mills were happy to get rid of all of it so it found many uses, including covering firewood. I even saw it used for some walls in out buildings.

Ah Schuylkill and Orwigsburg. I've been to Schuylkill or through it several times and have been to Orwigsburg at the Hehr factory once. My son lives near Sinking Springs.

Never thought of that. I work in a stone crushing operation and we have a whole bunch of this stuff lying around up to 42" wide. Never would have put two and two together to use this material as covers......
that is why I stay on these sites.

Remkel said:
Never thought of that. I work in a stone crushing operation and we have a whole bunch of this stuff lying around up to 42" wide. Never would have put two and two together to use this material as covers......
that is why I stay on these sites.

Remi - let me know if you find a bunch to scrounge and can't use all of it! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.