firewood/privacy fence for front patio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never bought firewood around here. Or anywhere for that matter. It has worked ok for me to scrounge. I burn a little more than 3 or 3.5 cords a year. I just keep my eyes open all the time and also have spoke with a few arborists that call me every now and again. You just have to be available to go get te wood on a moments notice. but sulllivan tree care delivers firewood, the tree guys behind the palisades mall over by crusher road have had a big pile of wood for a couple of years selling wood. Those are just people i am aware of, i can't vouch for their wood being dry or not. it might be tuff to get some seasoned for this year. If you have to, burn what you have that may be less than perfect, and reserve yourself to the fact that youu'll have to clean the flue monthly. PM me and we can talk if ou have never done it, plus i have rods and brushes that yu could use if needed.

Thats what Ive done with our 20 ft patio which is covered. It sits about 3 ft above ground level and we have 2 little girls that we take out here with us. For the top I used red oak that I busted slabs out of the outside diameter of large logs that I couldnt split in half. Three sides are about 3 ft high and I built a screened in gate on the end with steps going down. Thought I was just being conservative. But they do look good I guess. Great wind for drying out of the weather too.

That's a great set up. I bet it also smells great while it seasons. Well, to us wood burners anyway.

I love it. Great job of stacking that wood too.

I think it's awesome ( and how did I miss this thread originally??? ).

I had a nice pine fence going last winter, but we burned it :smirk:

LOL That is awesome, just remember that you will have a shorter fence after the first year so no nude sun bathing.

Shawn

RedOctober said:
f3cbboy said:
Nice looking fence. everybody should have one!

F3cb, we're neighbors, do you know a good place to buy some cut firewood,

I am getting prices of 200 a cord, have you seen cheaper?

Or do you have any positive experience with a local supplier, if the wood is all high BTU, Oak or hickory.. etc I would pay a bit more.
Try living earth landscape in west nyack 175.00 @ cord all oak but u are not going to burn it this year. 845-406-5627

f3cbboy said:
Nice looking fence. everybody should have one!
F3cbboy i have a Ms 460 for sale

RedOctober said:
3rd year in and the structure is just as strong as day 1.

I missed when you first posted this Red. Nice job on that. Looks great. Did you use screws on the ends or just nails to hold it all together?

OhioWB said:
RedOctober said:

I missed when you first posted this Red.

+1 i missed that also. Offer still stands to help if any would be needed....

how old of an ms 460 is it?

f3cbboy said:
OhioWB said:
RedOctober said:

I missed when you first posted this Red.

+1 i missed that also. Offer still stands to help if any would be needed....

how old of an ms 460 is it?
Two years ran maybe 6 tanks of mix thur it w/5chains 600.00

Very nice. My back property line is similar. 85' of the 100' line is 5' high x 4' deep stacked firewood. Mine is not nearly as pretty as yours, but it does provide hot tub privacy.

6 years later and the fence is still up, and stayed up during Sandy although I lost siding of my house and garage.

But we recently got a German Shepard and decided to enclose the front and rear yard, so it will be coming down in the spring.

Did you ever burn the existing wood or does it come down during the winter? That would make sense since who needs a fence then.

Sure, the fence holds about a 1.5 cords. I tend to burn that each year, maybe a bit more and every year more green splits go on the fence to season for use in the winter.

Thats ingenious and creative. Glad you refreshed the thread. Ive seen a 3 sided outdoor shower in a Martha Stewart Living book. with all exposed copper pipes. Very similar feel and look.
I think both are great ideas!!!
You did well RedOctober and thanks for sharing!!!

Talk about putting your wood to good use!!!lol. Looks real nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.