Firewood ProSizer: New Product for Chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
My wife sent me this today:

Basically its a laser light attachment for the chainsaw handle for measuring logs while cutting to get perfect lengths. Watch a lot of the demo videos, not really sure how it tells you where to make your cuts to get rounds to come out at 16", 17", etc.

Anyone else see this? Bought one and tried it yet? Thoughts, comments? If people here thinks it may be useful I may pull the trigger on one to try it.

Looks like it does what it says. It just points the the end of the log. Can only cut off one end (left unless you have full wrap bars) of the log. By the time you bump it. twist the rubber handle grip ect it’s probably about as accurate my marked bar parallel to the log method. Priced right to give it try. I’d rather spend the 50$ on another firewood related item like fire starters or a new pair of chainsaw or hearth gloves.

Evan

One bump of a degree or two OR you don’t put the saw in the exact same position EVERY time would result in wood too short or long.

Pass.

I’ll continue to use a reference line on my saw. It hasn’t moved yet.

It's a laser pointer and a tube clamp. You probably have both in your junk drawer right now.

I want a woodcutting laser too, but I expect the fire department won't approve... ;lol

No fire department to worry about here...

one of the rivets on my bar is the mark I use and my wood is constantly .5 inches
+ or - I dont think that this is any faster or easier. Its a guarantee that that rivet will not move from its spot when it gets bumped. Its amazingthe things people come up with to so called... make our life easier..

I'm actually now leaning towards getting this thing:

Looks a lot simpler to use, it's about the same price (or cheaper if you use a pre determined length piece) and most importantly I can understand how it works!

Reactions: andym

Looks a lot simpler to use, it's about the same price (or cheaper if you use a pre determined length piece) and most importantly I can understand how it works!
if your serious about getting your rounds the same length use your saw. I cut to 18 inches. Basically from the but of the handle to one of the rivets is 18 inches. Its quick, simple, and nothing to break. It takes 3 secondsif that, and I said above it gets me as close as any store bought pice of equipment. just line up the end of the handle with the log length look at where your mark is on the saw and cut there

Reactions: salecker
if your serious about getting your rounds the same length use your saw. I cut to 18 inches. Basically from the but of the handle to one of the rivets is 18 inches. Its quick, simple, and nothing to break. It takes 3 secondsif that, and I said above it gets me as close as any store bought pice of equipment. just line up the end of the handle with the log length look at where your mark is on the saw and cut there

Unfortunately my depth perception is garbage so I'll need something more substantial to view when cutting. I don't think I could I can count on being able to find the rivets on my saw and measure out what I'll need. Also I cut my wood at 17", and what I like about the Accu Mark is that they sell one that is adjustable up to 24" or so. I like having the flexibility to cut logs at 17" or less if I need to. Measuring with a tape measure and using chalk to make the markings hasn't ever been accurate enough for me and is what I've been doing so far. As I seem to increase my wood processing every year I am looking for ways to make making my measurements a bit more faster. Good idea on using the saw but just not for and my bad eyesight!

Unfortunately my depth perception is garbage so I'll need something more substantial to view when cutting. I don't think I could I can count on being able to find the rivets on my saw and measure out what I'll need. Also I cut my wood at 17", and what I like about the Accu Mark is that they sell one that is adjustable up to 24" or so. I like having the flexibility to cut logs at 17" or less if I need to. Measuring with a tape measure and using chalk to make the markings hasn't ever been accurate enough for me and is what I've been doing so far. As I seem to increase my wood processing every year I am looking for ways to make making my measurements a bit more faster. Good idea on using the saw but just not for and my bad eyesight!

you can color the rivet if you want.. use a red permanent marker.. yours may not be a rivet it may be something else on the saw that is the length of the wood. Take a tape measure and see where 17 falls.. just a suggestion

I use an old piece of copper pipe cut to my 18" length
I use marking paint .
After the tree is down it just takes a little time to mark up the tree.
I can go back anytime to cut it if I get pulled away ..It's worked for me..

I take a sharpie and mark 18" on my saws
Saws i am test driving before selling i take a piece of black tape and make the 18" mark from bar tip to where ever on the saw.
I cut around 18" so i can stack 2 rows on a 40" pallet floor.
My boiler can take up to 24" in spots,for years i burnt "firesmart"wood which was cut while reducing fuel loading around town.It would range from 12" to 24".Free cut wood who cares about the lenght just stack and burn.

I made one of these by JB welding a 20 inch piece of fiberglass driveway marker to a round magnet. A two pack of magnets at Harbor Junk cost three bucks and the driveway marker was what was left of one that I chopped up with the snowblower last winter so it was essentially free. It works amazingly well