Firewood Rack - Need solid recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKenmore

Nov 12, 2006
Hi everyone!!!! I am in need of a quality firewood rack to hold minimum 1/8 cord maybe even 1/4 cord. The intent is to have this rack close to my back door. I'll replenish it from the large stacks as needed. I definitely want a decent cover on it to keep rain/snow off.

Thanks so much!

EDIT-Considering this one from Costco.com:

LINKY

You just can't beat the return policy.

I have seen a lot of firewood racks in my time. We have taken on the Woodhaven line for about 4 years now. There are three reasons to purchase a Woodhaven rack. Quality, Quality and Quality.

DonCT said:
MrKenmore said:

LINKY

WOW!!! That's alot to pay for a little wood rack!!!

No kidding. That better come with either a brunette or a redhead to haul in the firewood to put in it.

BrotherBart said:
DonCT said:
MrKenmore said:

LINKY

WOW!!! That's alot to pay for a little wood rack!!!

No kidding. That better come with either a brunette or a redhead to haul in the firewood to put in it.

Or a blonde who has less open spaces upstairs then a Taco Bell parking lot.

I find I prefer wooden firewood racks.

To date, I haven't seen a steel structured rack that is well painted or powder coated on the inside of the tubing! Condensation will eventually rust almost any steel rack on the inside, staining anything they are standing on. Your deck, your concrete slab, etc. Getting rust stains off concrete is difficult. Wood might rot but it doesn't rust.

Course if you bought a "stainless steel" rack that wood be a different thing.

Keep the plugs in good shape on the steel racks too, because the wasps love those hollow tubes! The nice black paint makes those tubes a beautiful warm wasp home. Covers can provide a nice wasp surprise too!

Please tell us you decided to build one...

I used an old bed frame. Kept the wood off the ground and just used treated wood between the two rails for as wide as I needed it. You could also just cut it to length for that "custom" look. It was a garbage day find along the road and the $ was right for me!
I keep it right by the back door as you want to.

Bondo©

I'd like to thank everyone's help on this topic. Today I think I made out pretty good. Home Depot was clearing out all their fireplace/firewood stuff. It was 50% off or better. So I picked up a full tubular rack with cover that can hold one face cord ($25). I also picked up three kits to make racks by simply adding two 2X4's. They're two tubular ends with rectangular provisions so the 2X4's can slide in and be fastened. These kits were $12.50 each. I'll post some pics once I have it all together.

PS-When is it gonna get REAL cold out!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Another thought regarding the use of wood instead of steel, most the time wood will not mark up your deck surface. A fully loaded steel rack may leave impressions.
Make sure you stand your steel racks on top of some plywood or 2x4's to protect your concrete slab or deck from stains and scratches.

wahoowad said:
Please tell us you decided to build one...
Yes I used these plans
http://www.bobshowto.com/Firewood-Rack.htm

Then using 5 treated 2x4's a 2x2, and some deck screws I built a face cord rack. I've built a 1/2 cord rack using 2, 2x4x12's instead of 2, 2x4x8's. The racks disassemble, using no tools, for storage. The uprights just slide off the ground runners. Considering all the costs these are the cheapest, strongest, least harmful racks I could build.

Status
Not open for further replies.