Firewood wont fit in my new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I might have done the same. I think we all need video on the next trimming...

I might try and get some video next time since all of you want to see it. It really was not much to it though. It was pretty easy to do.

Return stove for bigger one.

woodsmaster said:
Return stove for bigger one.

My new stove is an Englander 30. The firebox is 20 x 20 square so you can load north to south or east to west. Now I can get a piece or two diagonally without having to cut them shorter but I can't burn them all that way. My wood was cut for an old englander with a 14 x 28 inch firebox. All the wood is 20 to 22 inches on average and I need a max of 19 inches in the new stove. I like the new stove and I'll just deal with the cutting.

mtcates said:
I made a post a week ago or so about my firewood not fitting in my new stove. All 7 cords was about 3 inches too long on average. I had a few replies on the best way to go about cutting a few inches off. Well here is what I decided to do. Not the safest thing but it sure works fast. I just climbed on top of the piles and shaved 4 inches or so off the stack with my 066 and 24 inch bar. It works so well thats what I'll do all winter as I need to do so.

I'm a-hearing banjos. :lol:

Had the same problem when I got my Morso Squirrel. Pile needed to go from 16" to 8".
Could have used a chainsaw and a sawbuck, but that would have turned lots of wood into chips.
Got a cheapie tablesaw and mounted a 10" blade from a real tablesaw that had hit a brad.

Went through the whole pile quickly, with no Darwin listing, and still use the tablesaw for the final
buzzing of wood. (Splitting seems more productive, working on 16-inchers.)

This may sound crazy to some, but a cord of wood goes a loooooong way, control of the size of
the fire is excellent, and I don't generate a lot of mulch. A friend jokes about burning toothpicks,
while heaving logs into a fireplace.

To me, crazy is standing on a wood pile while armed & dangerous with a big chainsaw. "Watch this!"
How about making a BIG sawbuck ...

CTYank said:
Had the same problem when I got my Morso Squirrel. Pile needed to go from 16" to 8".
Could have used a chainsaw and a sawbuck, but that would have turned lots of wood into chips.
Got a cheapie tablesaw and mounted a 10" blade from a real tablesaw that had hit a brad.

Went through the whole pile quickly, with no Darwin listing, and still use the tablesaw for the final
buzzing of wood. (Splitting seems more productive, working on 16-inchers.)

This may sound crazy to some, but a cord of wood goes a loooooong way, control of the size of
the fire is excellent, and I don't generate a lot of mulch. A friend jokes about burning toothpicks,
while heaving logs into a fireplace.

To me, crazy is standing on a wood pile while armed & dangerous with a big chainsaw. "Watch this!"How about making a BIG sawbuck ...

I'm a-hearin' dueling banjos.

While I do agree it was dangerous for me to do what I did, I think you all should know that I do tree work for a living and there are far more dangerous things on some of the tree jobs that I do. So maybe I should wear my safety harness and rope to the header above me on the stack and wear my chainsaw chaps for leg protection against the chainsaw.

[quote author="mtcates" date="1287504063"]While I do agree it was dangerous for me to do what I did, I think you all should know that I do tree work for a living and there are far more dangerous things on some of the tree jobs that I do. So maybe I should wear my safety harness and rope to the header above me on the stack and wear my chainsaw chaps for leg protection against the chainsaw.[/quote]

Pi$$ poor attitude for a "pro". The sarcasm runs fool-like.
Not having that B.S. on my crew.
Or, don't know anyone who'd hire someone with that kind of care.

....more banjos.

fjord said:
mtcates said:
While I do agree it was dangerous for me to do what I did, I think you all should know that I do tree work for a living and there are far more dangerous things on some of the tree jobs that I do. So maybe I should wear my safety harness and rope to the header above me on the stack and wear my chainsaw chaps for leg protection against the chainsaw.[/quote]

....more banjos.

Whatever dude. You do what you have to do and I'll do the same.

mtcates said:
fjord said:
mtcates said:
While I do agree it was dangerous for me to do what I did, I think you all should know that I do tree work for a living and there are far more dangerous things on some of the tree jobs that I do. So maybe I should wear my safety harness and rope to the header above me on the stack and wear my chainsaw chaps for leg protection against the chainsaw.[/quote]

....more banjos.

.....the same: more banjos.

P.S. What's a "whatever dude" ? :lol:

fjord said:
mtcates said:
fjord said:
mtcates said:

....more banjos.

.....the same: more banjos.

P.S. What's a "whatever dude" ? :lol:

It was just a little sarcasm towards your reply about a pi$$ poor attitude. Everyone up to your reply, even your own earlier replies were laid back and humorous.

mtcates said:
While I do agree it was dangerous for me to do what I did, I think you all should know that I do tree work for a living and there are far more dangerous things on some of the tree jobs that I do. So maybe I should wear my safety harness and rope to the header above me on the stack and wear my chainsaw chaps for leg protection against the chainsaw.

HehHeh . . . I know it's wrong . . . and I wouldn't condone this type of behavior (for the record I would have cut them down by sticking them in a "jig" of some sort) . . . but the picture in my mind of you dangling from the rafters while clad head to toe in safety gear while sawing the wood is something I would consider paying the price of an admission ticket to see! ;) :)

Everyone grips about my old Fisher and about how I am still living in the dark ages. They all tell me that it's a smoke dragon and how I would be much better to replace it with a modern stove. But guess what, I can get pieces that are 26 inches long in the stove, I have a unlimited amount of free wood that I'll never burn up in my lifetime. I don't care if it uses a few extra logs. I love my old Fisher. David

firefighterjake said:
mtcates said:

HehHeh . . . I know it's wrong . . . and I wouldn't condone this type of behavior (for the record I would have cut them down by sticking them in a "jig" of some sort) . . . but the picture in my mind of you dangling from the rafters while clad head to toe in safety gear while sawing the wood is something I would consider paying the price of an admission ticket to see! ;) :)

Too bad I don't live in Bangor Maine. You could hire me (pay me) for a tree job and get to see me dangling from a rope in full safety gear while cutting wood.

mtcates said:
firefighterjake said:
mtcates said:

Too bad I don't live in Bangor Maine. You could hire me (pay me) for a tree job and get to see me dangling from a rope in full safety gear while cutting wood.

Ah, anyone can see a guy working in a tree . . . I want to see you in full gear dangling from the rafters of your woodshed while cutting off the ends of the stacked firewood . . . that to me would be worth paying to see. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
mtcates said:
firefighterjake said:
mtcates said:

Ah, anyone can see a guy working in a tree . . . I want to see you in full gear dangling from the rafters of your woodshed while cutting off the ends of the stacked firewood . . . that to me would be worth paying to see. ;) :)

Well it wouldn't be as spectacular as you think. The rope would be slack and only for fall arrest as I would be standing on top of the double wide wood stack; and if things were to go as smooth as it did before it would not be much entertainment for you. Before it took about 5 minutes or so and was event free. I intend on every episode being the same.

Mtcates, I'm amused at the flak you have gotten over how you solved your problem. Frankly it looked pretty straight forward to me. I might have done it the same way except I don't have a bar that long for my saw. Oh, and I certainly wouldn't have used any safety gear, except maybe my glasses and a pair of gloves. Gosh, I must be reckless or something, because that seems pretty tame compared to some of the ways I have solved similar problems.
I'm sure, with your competence level, you were in very little danger. Now perhaps if you had your grandmother up there doing that, I might have to side with some of these guys.
I guess the real problem is posting things like that on the internet where everybody can see (and comment) on what you've done. Perhaps to protect yourself next time maybe just post a little cautionary note something like this.
****** WARNING KIDS!!! NEVER TRY THIS AT HOME ******

I've seen some full time carpenters do some cuts with power tools I wouldn't recommend weekend warriors try at home.
It's nice when you know your tools.

Every time I try a plunge cut with a sawzall I break the blade.
Every time.

The worst part must have been stacking all of the pieces you cut off...

[quote author="mtcates" date="1287600081]
Well it wouldn't be as spectacular as you think. The rope would be slack and only for fall arrest as I would be standing on top of the double wide wood stack; and if things were to go as smooth as it did before it would not be much entertainment for you. Before it took about 5 minutes or so and was event free. I intend on every episode being the same.[/quote]

Carbon Liberator
, I’m amused at the flak you have gotten over how you solved your problem. Frankly it looked pretty straight forward to me. I might have done it the same way except I don’t have a bar that long for my saw. Oh, and I certainly wouldn’t have used any safety gear, except maybe my glasses and a pair of gloves. Gosh, I must be reckless or something, because that seems pretty tame compared to some of the ways I have solved similar problems.
I’m sure, with your competence level, you were in very little danger. Now perhaps if you had your grandmother up there doing that, I might have to side with some of these guys.
I guess the real problem is posting things like that on the internet where everybody can see (and comment) on what you’ve done. Perhaps to protect yourself next time maybe just post a little cautionary note something like this.

.....I'm a-hearin' dual dueling banjos.....

Carbon_Liberator said:
Mtcates, I'm amused at the flak you have gotten over how you solved your problem. Frankly it looked pretty straight forward to me. I might have done it the same way except I don't have a bar that long for my saw. Oh, and I certainly wouldn't have used any safety gear, except maybe my glasses and a pair of gloves. Gosh, I must be reckless or something, because that seems pretty tame compared to some of the ways I have solved similar problems.
I'm sure, with your competence level, you were in very little danger. Now perhaps if you had your grandmother up there doing that, I might have to side with some of these guys.
I guess the real problem is posting things like that on the internet where everybody can see (and comment) on what you've done. Perhaps to protect yourself next time maybe just post a little cautionary note something like this.

Apparently now we both are getting flack for this. One thing I can say is the flack is coming from the ones who are not sure of their ability to pull off a stunt like this.
And if you have no confidence in your ability you are surely more likely to get hurt. They should leave the difficult tasks for competent people like ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.