First -40 nights of the winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I just need to dig out the driveway. I think all the snow in my whole yeard ended up there.

bogydave said:
Thanks goodness the wind died down here. Gonna be around 0, but with not much wind, going out side will be more comfortable without the 40 MPH winds .

bogydave said:
snowleopard said:
Warmed up to -15 here. Supposedly just a teaser warm-up--getting up to -10 or so for a day or two, and then the bottom will drop out if the weather forecast has this right.

Warmed up to -15 here.
What town is close to "here"??

I'm north of you a bit--in the hills outside of Fairbanks.

bsj425 said:
Lucky still -42 down here near Salcha, Our high yesterday was -36 HA!

Yuck! :sick: You are a stronger person than I.

Jags said:
bsj425 said:
Lucky still -42 down here near Salcha, Our high yesterday was -36 HA!

Yuck! :sick: You are a stronger person than I.

really gives you a firm respect for the indigenous folks. I, for one, like the cold....but no where near THAT kind of cold. Take care north, norht, north landers.

Yep, it's warmer in the hills . . . and I agree, the accumulated wisdom of the indigenous peoples who survived this climate is amazing.

I feel like I'm looking down a window into time when I see some of the adaptations. Cave dwellers lived for centuries in climate similar to our current arctic one, and caribou passed through like clockwork on their annual migrations. When the ice melted and the steady food supply moved north, some of them spread out into Europe, and some followed the retreating ice and crossed the Bering Land Bridge, and adapted to what they found here. Their technology may have changed, but I think the problem-solving set, and the skills of living in small groups for extended periods, and beliefs about the animals and land are as old as time.

Status
Not open for further replies.