First -40 nights of the winter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it gets down to -40° we don't need to ask if that is Celsius or Fahrenheit. It will dip down to that here at some point this Winter but not this early.

It's been quite mild here thus far but it looks like it is coming to an end. The prognosticators are calling for -7°C tonight and then down to -11°C this weekend.

Last night we had a severe thunderstorm and "Tornado Warning" Tomorrow night it is supposed to dip into the 20's. °F that is. :coolgrin:

tfdchief said:
Last night we had a severe thunderstorm and "Tornado Warning" Tomorrow night it is supposed to dip into the 20's. °F that is. :coolgrin:

sounds like eastern Mt! :lol:

Drove into Anchor town today. Left home 11:00 at 0°, in the Knik flats it was -9, Anchorage was +4.
Left at 4:30, Anch was +8, flats were -8 got home -6.
Gonna be cold for the next few days. Add in some 40 MPH winds -5 is -36 chill factor.
I'm calling is sick, being retired means the wife has to take care of the stove :lol: LOL
Well I can dream :)

I can't even comprehend -40*. The coldest I've ever seen was -20* and it was brutal.

"Coldest" night of the year here tonight...+25*.

Well there she is the coveted -40. I am officially
Cold as well!

d528a259.jpg

bsj425 said:
Well there she is the coveted -40.

I am confuse! Please clarify if that is F or C.

Jags said:
bsj425 said:
Well there she is the coveted -40.

I am confuse! Please clarify if that is F or C.

At -40 it is the same on both scales.

Jags said:
bsj425 said:
Lol yep just plain cold!

I vote this as "Understatement of the day".

"Cold" doesn't do -45 justice. I like thermally unbearable or something.

Thermally unbearable is reserved for -50 and below. You wouldn't think the distinction matters at those temps, but it's a qualitatively different cold.

I'm going out on a limb here and predicting cold winter in the northland. Expect we'll see some of that -50 stuff this winter, more so than awhile. It's been a bit since I've seen November bite this hard, but last time it did, we had about three weeks where we didn't see anything over -40. You know what a gym full of elementary students who haven't been outside for a month is like? boing! boing! boing!

I'll take this over the freak rain storm last November that was a mess...I just hope it gets to at least -10 need to go check my traps!

Visited North Pole, Alaska one time but it was not that cold. Of course we were there in August.

Coldest I've been in so far is -52. The cold was bad but that 25-35 mph wind was the worst I ever want to be in!

When I lived on the manistee river about 92 or so I seen -48. That was brutal.I went to work over in empire on the big lake big blow from the west.We had to deliver a fridge of all things while in the lady's house her radio was on the djweatherman said it was over 100 below windchill.

Probably very happy to get back into the woods after that one!

Fifelaker said:
When I lived on the manistee river about 92 or so I seen -48. That was brutal.I went to work over in empire on the big lake big blow from the west.We had to deliver a fridge of all things while in the lady's house her radio was on the djweatherman said it was over 100 below windchill.

Our fridges are full of environmentally friendly refrigerants now and have to be kept in the warm to work, they pack up in the cold.

With a windchill of -100 we'd probably have to put the fridge next to the stove to get it working...... ;-)

nowhere near -40, but we did get down to around -10 w/ a windchill around -30 a couple nights ago....

Attachments

• DSC05270.jpg
    DSC05270.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 159
Thanks goodness the wind died down here. Gonna be around 0, but with not much wind, going out side will be more comfortable without the 40 MPH winds .

Warmed up to -15 here. Supposedly just a teaser warm-up--getting up to -10 or so for a day or two, and then the bottom will drop out if the weather forecast has this right.

snowleopard said:
Warmed up to -15 here. Supposedly just a teaser warm-up--getting up to -10 or so for a day or two, and then the bottom will drop out if the weather forecast has this right.

Warmed up to -15 here.
What town is close to "here"??

Status
Not open for further replies.