First burn of the season (me)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cre73

Sep 2, 2008
Central Illinois
Alright made this far into this burning season with no marks until last night. While loading the stove I switched positions and put my other knee down on top of a hot coal that had popped out without me noticing. Nice burn right through my house pants and on my knee. I was hoping to make through this season without one, due to still having the scar from last year, when the door latch got me in the crease of my elbow.

cre73 said:
Alright made this far into this burning season with no marks until last night. While loading the stove I switched positions and put my other knee down on top of a hot coal that had popped out without me noticing. Nice burn right through my house pants and on my knee. I was hoping to make through this season without one, due to still having the scar from last year, when the door latch got me in the crease of my elbow.

Hey, I'm just happy I've made it this far through the season without banging my head on the barn beam mantle above the stove. My head took quite a beating last season.

Nice forearm burn here....you don't ALWAYS need those welders gloves for a front re-load, do you? I really, really need to learn to put them on EVERY time.

Got two nice forearm burns in the last two weeks. I was using short work gloves very consistently for every reload but the stove "bit" me twice, two inches above the glove. Just invested in some long welding/fireplace gloves. $9.99 well spent!!!

Al

I bet that hurt!

I've never burned myself tending the stoves here. Not sure if I've been lucky or I'm just very careful. But every time I read about someone getting a "fire kiss" I think about how much longer my lucky streak will last...

I'm reading this post laughing about all the burns I got last year in my first year and thinking how careful I've been this year w/o one single burn. Then I go move the coal bed and burn my knuckle on the glass ..... lol .... go figure

I always got half a dozen or so with my old stove and its narrow loading door. So far this year with the top loader I only got one, and that was because I was holding the top open with my left hand while taking a photo of the inside with my right hand. I plumb forgot the left hand glove had a hole in it.

Our new pup (Australian Shepard) has taken to my welding gloves which means I either go find them or go naked......I get burned by the stove and I get burning mad at the dog, I can't seem to win.

I always put welders gloves on before loading, have to or I burn my fingers opening the door. I think it's Woodstocks patented safety feature. I always hated that loading door latch :lol: I still get a few burns when I try to reach in too far and wipe some sticky ash on the window.

Todd, umm... didn't you get a fork with your Fireview???

And they say "Man is a tool user"... Wrong! WOMAN is the tool user, MAN is the "tool". ;)

Bobbin said:
Todd, umm... didn't you get a fork with your Fireview???

And they say "Man is a tool user"... Wrong! WOMAN is the tool user, MAN is the "tool". ;)

A real man don't use fork, just use hand. ugga ugga!

I've gotten pretty good at loading the stove so that I don't have to open it again until it's burned down to coals and cooled off quite a bit.

The few times i burned myself last year and the year before were times that I was futzing around with the fire while it was mid-cycle.

Once I got over the novelty and stopped trying to mess with it... I stopped burning myself.

-SF

No burns for me recently. I did notice some black scorch marks on one of the stoves yesterday. I thought it was from a split leaning up against the glass but my wife admitted that she put her stocking feet too close to the glass and burned them a bit. It took a good 6 hrs at 500 degrees for the marks to burn off the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.