First fire here in Maryland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
It's chilly and clammy I have been debating weather or not to start the season. When I ask my wife what she thought about a fire all she said was that it is quite romantic.......I lit two fires......
Mike
Happy and warm

Don't get too "distracted". Guy that worked for me here in Virginia a few years ago went home on a chilly, damp night in October like this and she suggested that romantic fire. He got all excited and went and got the wood and started up the fireplace. While they were "distracted" he smelled smoke. Looked up from the proverbial bear skin rug and the whole house was completely filled with it.

He had forgotten to open the damper. :ahhh:

Get on it Maryland! Getting close here in Virginia. Just cleaned the chimney tonight for the new season.

Hi Bart.

wahoowad said:
Get on it Maryland! Getting close here in Virginia. Just cleaned the chimney tonight for the new season.

Hi Bart.

Yeah I have knocked the chill off with the heaters the last couple of wet cloudy days. I bet you and me torch some wood about the same time. But the seventies in the daytime and sun are supposed to be back Thursday.

burned a small fire last night too. never truly needed it, just mostly for entertainment.

Still allowing the anticipation to build. In addition to knocking out a soda can worth of ash powder from the liner, I have to remove the combustible decorations that my wife likes to hang around the mantel and stove during pre-heating season. Then she will switch to the non-combustible decorations when I put on my (self-appointed) fire marshal hat.

Just had to switch on the heat pump on Sunday. Around here, October and April are great heat pump months. Keeping the "powder" dry until I see the whites of the frost!

Yeah I have to wait as long as I can to take the only one of five Canada Goose decoy scooters that Jim Pierce over in Havre de Grace made for Christmas years ago off of the top of the 30-NC for light off.

I collected Jimmy's decoys for many years and they all look like they are sitting there in the racks in the family room waiting for light off in the stove.

They can just get over it for a few more days.

I started an inaugural liftoff fire tonight and woke up the T6. The thermometer lifted off it's summer resting peg and started the gentle climb to higher temps. This will just be a 4 or 5 split night, but the fireglow in the livingroom is nice.

I did also, I just really wanted to test some of the seasoned oak I just bought. What a difference with this stuff compared to last years wood.

I did my first fire this morning (see my other thread). Only bad thing was the smell of roasting dust. Arg. I thought we had it cleaned off but must be somewhere that I missed with the vac or something... hopefully it all is burned off now.

Status
Not open for further replies.