First Fire! - Jotul F3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
This is my Christmas present...to myself. Even though it's still 50 degrees outside, I couldn't help but shirk the oil furnace and the pellet stoves for a Christmas fire! firstfire.JPG

Used 3 splits of super-dry ash for the first run, plus some kindling and 1/2 a super cedar puck. Got to cruising at 550::F. Reloaded after 90 min. or so with some ash, yellow birch & red maple, which was cruising at 600::F within 10 minutes with the air shut all the way down. I could easily get used to this - so much quieter than the pellets too!

This is my Christmas present...to myself. Even though it's still 50 degrees outside, I couldn't help but shirk the oil furnace and the pellet stoves for a Christmas fire!View attachment 170113

Used 3 splits of super-dry ash for the first run, plus some kindling and 1/2 a super cedar puck. Got to cruising at 550::F. Reloaded after 90 min. or so with some ash, yellow birch & red maple, which was cruising at 600::F within 10 minutes with the air shut all the way down. I could easily get used to this - so much quieter than the pellets too!
Congrats and enjoy!

The F3 is a nice stove. Enjoy. And welcome to the good side of The Force.

The F3CB is the little stove that could. It's a very willing heater. Great looking stove and that's a nice setting for it too.

Nice to see another F3 blazing away at Christmas! This is my third year with mine and I still wouldn't swap it for another.... It perfect for my wee cottage. Yours looks great on that hearth.

So how long do you get on an average full load, Pete, say from loading her up to the stove top dropping to around 350?

congrats on the new stove. i've had a F3CB for about 5 years now and its bullet proof. great little stove. i heat 1200 sq feet of my ranch (upstairs) with it. i love the ease of operation with the slide control. i have a damper in the stove pipe above the stove to aid in controlling the burn and give longer burn times at night and during the day when we're at work. the other thing i like is the ash pan. makes it really easy to clean. i just put it into the ash bucket or pour them on the lawn, if its wet out, for a little added minerals back to the soil. i had my first experience with Jotul with a little F602. it too was a great little stove but heated like a big boy.

Nice to see another F3 blazing away at Christmas! This is my third year with mine and I still wouldn't swap it for another.... It perfect for my wee cottage. Yours looks great on that hearth.
So how long do you get on an average full load, Pete, say from loading her up to the stove top dropping to around 350?

Thanks Fiona. I don't exactly have a wee cottage, but at 1300 square feet it certainly is more modest than most American homes. I haven't even burned a full load yet on account of this warm weather, but for perspective last night, after the start-up cycle, I put 4 splits of mixed wood on and got about 3 hours to the drop-off of 350 or so. The wood was ash, yellow birch, red maple and cherry, so a mix of high and low btu stuff.

Reactions: FionaD
congrats on the new stove. i've had a F3CB for about 5 years now and its bullet proof. great little stove. i heat 1200 sq feet of my ranch (upstairs) with it. i love the ease of operation with the slide control. i have a damper in the stove pipe above the stove to aid in controlling the burn and give longer burn times at night and during the day when we're at work. the other thing i like is the ash pan. makes it really easy to clean. i just put it into the ash bucket or pour them on the lawn, if its wet out, for a little added minerals back to the soil. i had my first experience with Jotul with a little F602. it too was a great little stove but heated like a big boy.
Thanks - I have about the same space upstairs (also a ranch), and the fireplace it's in is the most central heating location. The stove isn't new, but I did replace the burn plates & secondary baffle, so it's as good as new. The install was 2 years in the making, so it's especially gratifying to get some good burns going right off the bat.

Reactions: tcassavaugh
Status
Not open for further replies.