first install done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey guys I used all the help and suggestions i got from this site and finally finished my install.
What do you guys think how does it look?

so far, its drawing like a champ I know all the clearances are up to standards, I actually added about 2 inches to each clearance just for extra safety I suppose.

I did rebuild this intrepid 2, however, I am thinking of just buying a new one now HA!

(Mind the sealant its going to get painted..double wall stove pipe also.)

thanks you guys

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 401
The only concern I see is the flashing. It appears to be put down on top of the shingles rather than under. You will likely have future issues with leakage.

I did put the top of the flashing under shingles. Maybe about the quarter of the flashing went under about a row of shingles...should I do more than that? Thanks for that webby!!!!!

If you got a quarter of it under the shingles then it'll probably be ok. Typically the shingles go all the way up to a half inch or so of the boot.

Reactions: Kosmonauts
What type of sealant is that white stuff where the stove pipe enters the top of your stove? It looks like some sort of silicone. If so, what is the temperature rating? That is likely to be about the hottest spot on your stove.

The only concern I see is the flashing. It appears to be put down on top of the shingles rather than under. You will likely have future issues with leakage.
I saw that too. Was trying to zoom in but the angle was low. Not real comfortable with the shingles being under the flashing, it is a potential leak point like that. I see a lot of people do I though because it is far simpler than sliding it under.

X2 with Nick on the silicone. That is going to smell forever. I'd remove it and take up space with gasket and/or furnace cement..

X2 with Nick on the silicone. That is going to smell forever. I'd remove it and take up space with gasket and/or furnace cement..
I missed that somehow.

Like was mentioned, unless that's furnace cement it will not hold up to the temps there. There's really no reason for any sealant there anyway.

My only concern is that it looks like carpet is under that hearth shield, I don't know what the rating is for that older stove but that hearth pad is only good up to 1.75 k factor and may not be enough if carpet is under it. Only assuming due to the photo.

Yea the silicone is actually Honda bond high temp and I have used a lot of other furnace cements and silicone and I find this one works the best....

I can't remember the excactly r factor on the hearth pad but I do remember that it was rated properly for this situation. Thanks guys so much

The silicone and hearth pad then were concerns?

I missed that somehow.

Like was mentioned, unless that's furnace cement it will not hold up to the temps there. There's really no reason for any sealant there anyway.
Ok. I did use the screws to negate the hole from flue collar to pipe...it just didn't seem like it was air tight which is why I did that. So that's not necessary then?

I saw that too. Was trying to zoom in but the angle was low. Not real comfortable with the shingles being under the flashing, it is a potential leak point like that. I see a lot of people do I though because it is far simpler than sliding it under.
I did slide the top part under about a quarter of the way...I think maybe get back up there and put it under farther then.

My only concern is that it looks like carpet is under that hearth shield, I don't know what the rating is for that older stove but that hearth pad is only good up to 1.75 k factor and may not be enough if carpet is under it. Only assuming due to the photo.
So you think that this hearth pad is not adaquate for having carpet underneath and I should cut it out then perhaps?

look you what the hearth rating is for the stove first. That looks like a type 2 r rating of 1.592

This is a collar that I did the other day. From everything I could determine, it is installed correctly.

I used snow and ice shielding around the sides most of the way down, and across the top, buried under the shingles. I like to use that stuff, because it does a great job of sealing around nails.

Only silicone used was the storm collar above the flashing on the pipe.

Attachments

• 20160716_194512.jpg
    20160716_194512.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 237
I installed my flashing identical to yours. I did silicone down the edges underneath before screwing. No silicone under the bottom edge. Has not leaked a ounce. Might not be a huge concern in my opinion. I also had plans to replace the roof soon.

If that's a type 2 hearthbpad I would not be concerned with the carpet.
Phew! Yea it is. I did read the manual several times and was sure it was up to code and safe. I did add a little on clearances throughout the whole installation just because it's my first one and wanted to make sure everything is safe!

I installed my flashing identical to yours. I did silicone down the edges underneath before screwing. No silicone under the bottom edge. Has not leaked a ounce. Might not be a huge concern in my opinion. I also had plans to replace the roof soon.
Ok thanks so much! I sealed the living hell out of it with a very liberal amount of silicone and fire stop sealant!

Ok thanks so much! I sealed the living hell out of it with a very liberal amount of silicone and fire stop sealant!
Normally a bead around the storm collar and exposed nailheads is all that's needed. Where was the fire-stop sealant used and what kind was it?

fire stop sealant!
Where did you use the firestop sealant? I only ask because it is flamable people often think it is not because it is for fire stops but it in fact is. Also the honda bond you used is only good to 600 it is not going to hold up on the collar and it will stink to high heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.