First question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newbie78

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2022
Canada
Hi all!

This is my first post after lurking and re-learning for about a year. Thank-you for the information and advice freely given!

Last winter we just started burning wood again after about 25 years without. With a ready supply of wood very handy as well as the necessary tools always at hand what the heck were we thinking? The wood heat is wonderful, warm, and comforting.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is ok to lay a plate of steel on top of a plate-steel stove to use for a cooking surface. Not a surface to put food on, but a surface to put pots on. I just happen to have a piece of 3/8" plate laying around that would work nicely if I cleaned it up and painted it. I just want to try to keep cooking splatters off of the stove as much as possible and since the steel sheet is a bit oversized I'm thinking it would give a larger temperature range with which to work. Also, it would be easier to clean and re-paint a sheet of steel from time-to-time rather than the stove. This would be on a Drolet Legend III. Would this compromise the stove-top in any way?

regards and thank-you very much!

Hi all!

This is my first post after lurking and re-learning for about a year. Thank-you for the information and advice freely given!

Last winter we just started burning wood again after about 25 years without. With a ready supply of wood very handy as well as the necessary tools always at hand what the heck were we thinking? The wood heat is wonderful, warm, and comforting.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is ok to lay a plate of steel on top of a plate-steel stove to use for a cooking surface. Not a surface to put food on, but a surface to put pots on. I just happen to have a piece of 3/8" plate laying around that would work nicely if I cleaned it up and painted it. I just want to try to keep cooking splatters off of the stove as much as possible and since the steel sheet is a bit oversized I'm thinking it would give a larger temperature range with which to work. Also, it would be easier to clean and re-paint a sheet of steel from time-to-time rather than the stove. This would be on a Drolet Legend III. Would this compromise the stove-top in any way?

regards and thank-you very much!
Yes that would be fine. I would even put some flat gasket under it to protect the stove top from scratches

Reactions: RomanW
Thank-you for the quick response!

what is "flat gasket"?

ok, I looked that up for a sec.. would that transfer heat effectively and what would be a good sheet product to use?

Last edited:
Thank-you for the quick response!

what is "flat gasket"?

ok, I looked that up for a sec.. would that transfer heat effectively and what would be a good sheet product to use?
Just flat stove gasket

Like just lay a couple of pieces along each edge or end and leave an airspace?

this will be nearly 4 square feet of 3/8" steel. About 60-70 lbs I think. Probably heavy enough to not slide around at all, tho I don't want to scrach the stovetop. My thought was to have full contact steel-on-steel. I am just wondering if that would harm the stove top from a heat perspective, or even discolour the stove top. I thought I would use the same stove paint on the piece of plate as what's on the stove.

I don't understand. Maybe a small airspace would be good under the plate?, idk.

Like just lay a couple of pieces along each edge or end and leave an airspace?

this will be nearly 4 square feet of 3/8" steel. About 60-70 lbs I think. Probably heavy enough to not slide around at all, tho I don't want to scrach the stovetop. My thought was to have full contact steel-on-steel. I am just wondering if that would harm the stove top from a heat perspective, or even discolour the stove top. I thought I would use the same stove paint on the piece of plate as what's on the stove.

I don't understand. Maybe a small airspace would be good under the plate?, idk.
Yes the gasket would leave a small airspace. I wouldn't paint the plate at all just oil it like a cooktop

Oiling was my first thought, but what kind of oil can take repeated 650-700 degrees? This steel plate will stay on the stove..that is, if it becomes handy.

Oiling was my first thought, but what kind of oil can take repeated 650-700 degrees? This steel plate will stay on the stove..that is, if it becomes handy.
Grape seed oil it what I use on pans etc

I have used that too. And I've thought enough about this. Oil and gaskets it is!

thank-you!

I wouldn't worry too much about the stovetop. It's fairly easy to repaint as a touch-up.
Take a grinder and radius the corners so that they are not as sharp if someone bumps into one.

That's my plan on the steel sheet. If I get lucky the corners will match the stove's