First Stove BTU Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A 2.5 CF stove isn't a 2.5 CF stove, either.

You can get a terrible stove like a U.S. Stove fixed burn rate unit, and opening the window will be how you control the temperature of your living room... or you can get a better stove that can control its burn rate and go 8-24 hours on that same wood that went through the bad stove in 4 hours.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a 4.3cf King into a small house if it was for my own use. Firebox size is just the size of the gas tank if the stove is very controllable and the operator knows how to work it.
Well, we'd like a good one. Willing to spend a little more and not have to replace it down the road. I just read that if you have a high ceiling it ups the square feet capability a stove would need by quite a bit. Something like 2000 to 4000 if the ceiling is over 10 feet. So, having read that, I want a large box. I'll have a look at the 4.3, thank you!

I don't have land, just a large yard. Is the wood around here good to burn? I'd read that pine as okay, plan on buying this year which will give me time to let anything I cut season.
Yes, almost any wood is fine as long as it is full seasoned before burning. Doug Fir, Alder, Big Leaf Maple are common local firewood.

Well, we'd like a good one. Willing to spend a little more and not have to replace it down the road. I just read that if you have a high ceiling it ups the square feet capability a stove would need by quite a bit. Something like 2000 to 4000 if the ceiling is over 10 feet. So, having read that, I want a large box. I'll have a look at the 4.3, thank you!
Look at the Princess too. It has a smaller tank, but it will be sufficient for your place. The cost to install will be less with 6" stove pipe and chimney.

we'd like a good one. Willing to spa little more and not have to replace it down the road.
I'd look for a used non-cat Pacific Energy T5 brown enamel..should be easy to find locally. You need to know how to inspect a used stove for damage, of course. Gorgeous stove, plenty of heat for that sq.ft. when you remodel, and the absolute minimum regarding maintenance. No combustor to replace every three years, easy to sweep the chimney with the removable baffle, and component parts shouldn't wear out for many years. KISS principle. ;)
Of course, if you buy a new one, you can get it in red enamel. :)
Being a 2020 stove, it will burn a little faster unless..

Last edited: