First Time Cleaning Chimney....Ever....How's it Look??? (pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
So with this forums gentle guidance I installed by own Englander 30 stove this spring. It has 6' of double wall stove pipe with a 45 degree offset, and 16' of double wall chimney pipe with a 15 degree offset. All of the chimney pipe is framed in an interior chase with about 7' poking out of the roof.

I've gone through the equivelent about a half a cord so far this year. It has been a mix of cedar, pine, oak pallets, lumber scraps, and oak. The kicker is that the oak I bought, advertised as seasoned...wasn't so seasoned. It averages from 20-25% when split in the middle. I've probably burnt a quarter of a cord of the not-the-best oak.

I just purchased a SootEater and went to town. That thing is AMAZING! In about a half hour I had a squeeky clean flue. All told I ended up with 2.5 cups of "stuff" (yes I measured). Is that okay? Too much or just right? I've got no choice but to keep burning the oak. Sure I'd like to find some really seasoned stuff but it is what it is. Hows it look?

creosote.jpg

W/ that stove and chimney, and the volume of wood you have gone through, that is more than I would expect but not bad. I'd suggest you keep up w/ regular cleanings (monthly or so) until you see things improve as you start burning 24/7 or your fuel gets better. You have a good baseline now. Keep on a regular schedule for a bit and you'll get to monitor your burning habits / fuel quality by what you are finding in there. Once you get a better feel and some other cleanings to compare to, then you can make a good judgement on extending your cleaning intervals.

Well done.

pen

Yeah, it was more than I expected. I'm chaulking it up to the less than ideal wood. Even though I know I am wasting a bit of wood, I have been burning the fires hotter than normal just to keep the creosote deposits down. I try to keep my flue temperature above 600 when its really going.

Not critical because you have cleaned but I'd say that is way too much for only 1/2 cord of wood being burned. This just says that the wood is not as dry as it should be. Continue to check that chimney monthly and you'll probably get through this year okay. This also is a sign that should tell you that you need to have next year's wood already split and stacked out in the wind for drying.

I'm going to clean the flue on the first of the month every month going forward. We'll see if things get better or worse. I have to admit, my first fires were not that impressive. Although I've used plenty of wood stoves, this was my first so there was definetely a learning curve. Maybe I had some extra creosote due to some crappy fires at first. I'll repost after the first of the year to compare.

There is a learning curve but it is usually quite short. You've run stoves before so I'm betting you'll do just fine.

Not real bad at all but good that you cleaned it & will check it for a few months.
Drier wood will help for sure, but I had 5X worse with my first wood stove burning experience & a chimney fire. Learning curve for me was real fast.
I've learned allot since those days.
You're doing it right.
Good job!

Actually, it looks good!! If you had less, it would mean that you hadn't cleaned the chimney. That could look real bad when the fire department shows up to a house burning to the ground from a chimney fire. Any pictures of the inside of your chimney after the cleaning? Also, could you explain your experience cleaning the chimney - your process, thoughts, impressions, etc.?

BurnIt13 said:
I'm going to clean the flue on the first of the month every month going forward. We'll see if things get better or worse. I have to admit, my first fires were not that impressive. Although I've used plenty of wood stoves, this was my first so there was definetely a learning curve. Maybe I had some extra creosote due to some crappy fires at first. I'll repost after the first of the year to compare.

That's more creosote than I would expect in my woodstove . . . but not so bad for a person learning to use their stove . . . there is a learning curve. If I was a betting man I would bet that by the end of this winter you will see a lot less creosote . . . and next year with wood that is very well seasoned you will see even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.