First tree for new burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thats good to know about the horizontal vs. vertical splitter. Where in Idaho are you?

Hi - I'm from the Twin Falls area. You must be near Boise. I drove to Pocatello last year and picked up a cord or two of red elm rounds. Someone was giving them away, a tree service dropped it off. The trunks were monsters - at least 5 feet wide. I think the biggest width I went for was about 3 feet wide - and that was big enough.

Just an update! I took everyone's advice and purchased a wood splitter. I didn't have a huge budget and read the reviews on the HF 20 ton so I bought it. After the son and I put it together, filled the fluids and let the engine have a 3 - 4 hour burn in run, it was on to splitting some Elm that had been sitting around for a year. WOW, those rounds pop open with a weird sound. And now I know what you mean by stringy!

I watched some youtube videos of the splitter before buying it and noted that most guys/gals run it around 1/2 way, only upping the rpm if the round calls for it.

I split a few rounds that were 24" or so at 1/2 RPM and she ran right through them! I have to say I really love the two directional splitting. Keeps two of us busy and can split faster than we can feed her.

Anyway, this site has been a great tool for information and advice. Thank you!